Thread: Engine sound pad 1972

Engine sound pad 1972

Hello.
    I need to replace an engine sound pad eaten by rodents, for a 72S targa.

The existing 72 pad is very lightweight, and must not be factory.
    The pad on my 71 is heavy and dense, with a drywall type texture.

There are many to choose from for sale.
    I would prefer a factory & period correct type.
    But I would also prefer something that may reduce sound, if that is even possible.

The only one I currently like is the $400 plus version with the pronounced ’dots’.

Weren’t there some being made in Oregon or so?

Name:  IMG_4035.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  51.8 KB

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Try Carpoint in Germany.
    I bough one a few years ago that was spot on.

we install this one genuine german with thicker backing than the currently available ones http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-D...155689101.html

72 didn't have the dots. Alex here on this site makes the best one. Cut only on one side for one strut and has the closest correct texture to the original 72. I bought like 7 from him but I need them. Try a search on this site and see if you can find his thread. They have a horse hair type backing that's a tan color but you can spray the top visible area black if you don't like the tan to be more correct for 72.
    72S, 72T now ST

I also have one from Alex, here is the thread Scott mentioned.
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...(-1970-and-up)
    Craig Williams
    Eugene,OR

Member #1070

1972 911E Targa Puck

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...gine-Sound-Pad
    See post number 35 if you want to see what an original 1/72 sound bad looks like. Hoping somebody will produce a replica but have yet to see one.

This?
    Name:  IMG_2676.jpeg
Views: 104
Size:  100.7 KB
    Yep same as in my 73 RS that was built end calendar 72. A sort of faux woven face with foam behind that is starting to crumble. Not the fibre and not one piece foam; these modern repro alternatives available don’t look same. Seen similar faux weave effect on old VW but not with the foam. Pity not being made.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 12-31-2023 at 10:00 PM.

This is a great source!
    I’m just looking for a sound pad and this thread was very helpful.