Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 72 Restoration Questions

It was late or I would’ve added picture above then it would’ve been more evident. So who has got the book frozen as at 11/71 and what does it say? Suspect most books were updated so the 11/71 snapshot long lost.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 01-22-2024 at 12:55 PM.

Isn't fun the things we spend our time on! Lol.
    72S, 72T now ST

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    Clyde Not sure it’ll help unless their 72/3 parts book copy has contents they was frozen on time 11/72 at edition 1. See table they maybe graphically explains ( one) issue I’m highlighting when using the maroon parts book to get input on authenticity at a point in time
    Attachment 610857

The supplement dates are quite wide. There are other issues including the books being at times simply being incorrect but important to know which supplement pack they have had as contents evolved. However better than PET for many things.

That’s why I have the original factory hard copy maroon parts books on my shelf covering both model 71 and several different for model 72/73: edition 11; and 111 therefore. Where a page was replaced to supersede it normally has date and edition button (eg 9/72 or 1/73).
    Due to the method of updating in the day the original page and contents of 72/3 pars book edition 1 11/71 will have long gone. Pages 9/72, w/73 or 2/74 put in their place. The snapshot gone.

I have both hard copy on my shelf because my car is 12/72 production so between the 9/72 and 1/73 versions therefore form those snapshots I can get a sense of what changed at those supplement points that are relevant to my particular car. With my car being model 73 I don’t need to go back to the earlier parts bookie even need edition 1 11/71 edition snapshot.

I suspect at the Aussie dealership like on mine you’ll see the page with the updates info showing content as at that 9/72 or other date bottom left. This little question and debate ideally would need to see content of that page “as was” at 11/71 to read the spec written then hex-hd or already bu edition 1 of 11/71 it had cheese head as the specified part. While there are many real world reasons for what see on cars different at new or Lord knows what happened in five decades even if car seems unmolested) at least the written spec for fastener on official publications would inform opinion.

We already know the cheese head was listed on edition 11 at sept 72 (date code 9/72 on bottom left ) but for this question be instructive to see what was the fastener’s spec recorded on page edition 1 as at 11/71 — what did it say before the page superseded it with Cheesehead text? My hunch based on fact the line drawing shows a hex it was originally noted as Hex-had but can’t be sure at that might be a hangover from even earlier line drawing.

As I’ve said by finding a manual with the original page extant — a page that that ought to have been removed and original sheet destroyed when the 9/72 page was added to supecede. Will the wording if found reveal what was the 11/72 spec (hex-hd or cheese head) prior to the known 9/72 point!

It didn't their book had the 2/74 revision in it

My 69/70/71 book page is dated 4/72 and says hex bolt
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Quote Originally Posted by Longballa View Post
    Isn't fun the things we spend our time on! Lol.
    Crazy isn't it
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Nuts !

Makes sense official dealership’s old book would have the full set of supplements as theirs would’ve been used as a working document back in the day also in the official networks they would have received all the supplements and interleaved each diligently.

I once had a workshop manual set where owner had added the supplements and updated the table in neatest almost calligraphy writing in back in 1972. Decades later I found an orphan nos of tge next supplement pack that followed on where they had left off but didn’t update the neat table with my very scruffy scrawl — felt my handwriting was far too messy. I sold that binder set to a friend but not sure if they put their mark on that neat version control table after gap of some 50 years.

The copy of the 72/3 book we need to shed light is probably one bought by a private owner maybe from a Panorama advert in 70s that used to list them but the copy went on a bookshelf to sit unused and importantly it never saw any of the supplements added . So the spec recorded remained frozen “as at” 11/71. Or maybe a copy where pages were added but the original pages removed were kept with it rather than being binned. Five decades on that would be an interesting — evolution from base 72/3 manual through 11/71, 9/72, 1/73 and 2/74. Expect it would highlight some authenticity points even if there were errors and omissions and a lag due to the lead time of publishing in that hard copy format and from updating that old school way.

It took a lot of looking to find copies of book that bracket my car date of production with 9/72 and 1/73 but is useful even if not perfect as from text snapshots can see evolution at both points in time for 12/72 d-o-b car.

One of the more curious rabbit holes I recall wasting time on was discussing a gold decal that appears in the 2/74 edition supplement in the 72/3 parts book . Carrera model identifier decal for rear lid iirc . But in Gold! I had a long email discussion about it - was it in 72/3 parts book as for 73 Carrera RS but gold didn’t tally with other rare documents I have in RS spec. Gold not the normally seen red green blue or black decal for rear stood out … also jarred because it said simply Carrera ( not Carrera RS. So had it snuck into the 72/3 parts book as a mistake being a 74 on G model Carrera part after all that facelift model would’ve been on the market by Feb 72? Or was it actually a part for 73 Carrera RS so it truly belonged in 72/3 parts book? I was of opinion it must be G series item as there was not a a Carrera just Carrera RS in model 73 but wasn’t agreed and since the person I was discussing it with was unsure they eventually took an equivocal position and they had power of the pen. Even an odd 73 Carrera RS or two did somehow as specials get a gold model identifier decal on rear I still doubt it was a listed part but always surprises and anomalies in such matters and I’m open to learn!

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 01-23-2024 at 12:44 AM.

What about the the bolts for the door hinges for a 72? Were these painted? What type of fastener?
    We have mounted the doors at this stage with silver galvanized bolts and washers, but on our to do list is to have them replaced with painted ones. If I read the above, it could be more original not to have these painted…

Painted and special heads on them, not allen more points than an allen head, which I don't know the right description but need special tool to undo them.

Enlarge to see them.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

called XZN
    Quote Originally Posted by BOYER73S View Post
    Painted and special heads on them, not allen more points than an allen head, which I don't know the right description but need special tool to undo them.

Enlarge to see them.

The door was installed and fitted before the car was painted, for paint the door was removed by pulling the hinge pins so as not to disturb the alignment. That's why pre 70 model cars had the vin stamped in them, to reunite with the car they were fitted too. After 70 the doors were kept and painted with the car by being supported on special fixtures that kept them with the car. Therefore the hinge bolts are painted and not disturbed by a tool.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks, good to know that I will need to have them painted (as planned)!

Inspired by ‘Isn't fun the things we spend our time on!’, I’ve tried to figure out more on the XZN bolts if I would need these for my car
    Looking into the parts catalog 1970-1973, there are 2 references, because of a change for MY72.
    Name:  IMG_0694.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  10.2 KB.
    It looks like that hexagon bolts would be fine for MY72.
    The other number however is not an XZN bolt - if I search on the partnumber N0147074.
    In the catalogue 1965-1969, I found other part numbers.
    Name:  IMG_0696.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  20.5 KB
    The 90008300602 looks like to be an XZN bolt, so this would be correct for the earlier cars.
    Attached Images Attached Images