Thread: Interesting Euro 1971 911S

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I guess that G style front required moving the rivet on I.D. tag to near the smugglers box. It should have been on the front latch panel.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Very interesting car that deserves to be restored as new.

Are you sure that this is a metallic paint? I ask because the 9898 is usually associated with uni colors, not metallic, if i'm not mistaken.
    Now, you need to find the mixture of the paint, from Herberts, if this is possible.
    Last edited by 928cs; 02-06-2024 at 11:26 PM.

I am not sure it is metallic either. The paint code is a single row code. When one has metallic paint with clearcoat then it is often a two row code at least as a custom paint. Standard paint codes did not have this feature of course.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

edmayo, this one got the "lazy" G model conversion, the old latch panel is still there! Can still see both rivet holes for the I.D. tag and where the old latch went. They didn't have to move it but must've to keep it visible. Glad they kept the plate at least, and should be easier to convert it back to a longhood(still retains both battery boxes, hood is a longhood just trimmed down...)

928cs, davep, I am pretty positive it is metallic. I figured since many old paint jobs were done poorly they wouldn't have sanded around the colour plate, so I took some masking tape and pulled a few layers of paint off to get down to the original colour. Hard to get an accurate showing of it on the phone camera and on my laptop it looks a bit copper like but it shows the metallic pretty well. And to double check I took some fine sand paper and it sands white showing it is a base clear/two stage. Unfortunately someone made a mess of the plate, probably would have come out really nice. At least it is still legible! Not sure why the colour tag is reflecting a single stage? Also curious why would they need to have a second line for the two stage cars as the topcoat would always just be clear coat?

Also I found another angle of the S-Y 1811 car, clearly shows it's a 70-71 car with no oil door. I am waiting on a reply from Porsche Classic to see if they have info on the registration numbers and corresponding vins. If it isn't S-Y 1811 I hope they can tell me which one it would be, and with any luck they will have some more info.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Very cool find. Another clue to the cars in the period photos is the presence of an electric right mounted antenna on the S-Y 1811 car and no electric antenna on the car with LEO ZA plates.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Your post is very welcome Brian, it’s been a while I think. Yes, cool find.

Hi Rick'

Yes, has been a while since I've logged on. This thread though compelled a comment especially after seeing the period photos. Very cool to connect those photos with the original poster's 911. Anyway, hope all is well with you. Too bad it's been so long since we have been together. You are a heck of a driver!
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299