Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best startup procedure?

Best startup procedure?

There’s nothing like bringing an early 911 to life. Each one I’ve driven has always had its own character, including special starting procedures. How do you start your early 911?

Mine: 71T with Italian Webers… cold start… I start with two pumps. Turn key on-position to prime for about 30 seconds. Clutch engaged to reduce drag. Two cranks & she fires up.

I’ve experimented with more pumps & once while holding the gas, but don’t want to flood it. Sweet spot seems to be 2 pumps of the pedal for mine.

Yes , I think 2 or 3 slow pumps and holding the throttle partially open works well for carbureted 911's .

The latest Collecting Cars podcast had some interesting ‘best start up cars’. That’s what got me thinking of early 911 cars.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000646467351

Quote Originally Posted by smiles11 View Post
    Mine: 71T with Italian Webers… cold start… I start with two pumps. Turn key on-position to prime for about 30 seconds. Clutch engaged to reduce drag. Two cranks & she fires up.

I’ve experimented with more pumps & once while holding the gas, but don’t want to flood it. Sweet spot seems to be 2 pumps of the pedal for mine.
    Nice to have one sequence that covers a range of starts. Dgv weber on 4 cyl engine needs no throttle if cold but driven recently, the previous day. However, if 3 or more days > 10 - 12 pumps are needed.

The distance for fuel to reach cylinders in a 911 is short, in contrast to runners from single carb location.. and fuel will condense out on cold metal at low temps. Imo, six carbs vs one is an advantage.

After a period when the car hasn't been run, I wait for the electric fuel pump to fill the float bowls as denoted by the change in sound.
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

not to hijack this thread, but what about best warm startup procedure for MFI? cold and hot i seem to have down, but not warm (cranks more before catching)
    Bill

Early 911S Registry Member #4087
    Instagram: @myflat6

'72T hotrod 210 0228
    '82SC Targa
    '97C4S (sold - and regretting it)

Lightbulb

Bill,

Might all depend on what you consider warm... How long after shutdown ?

I know with mine I have to start all over again (cold start procedure) only after about 15-20 min, even in the summer...

I have found that if your MFI engine didn't just go though a 'perfect' rebuild, and you have some mileage on these 50 + year old cars, they're all a little different...

Cheers and luck,
    cm
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

4000 plus rpms on first crank always make me just pause...

Marc
    Marc
    Early 911S Registry #4145
    1970 911S Coupe Sepia Brown
    Houston, TX

I generally start pushing throttle down as I start cranking. You'll get an idea of what it needs with experimentation. I basically never use the hand throttle. All it does is push the throttle down,,,,just like your foot does. And NO,,,, these are NOT modern whiz bang electronically controlled engines,,they do not start on half a crank revolution.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I do what Ed does. When it lights up I pull the hand throttle to hold it at a fast idle for a minute or so while I close the barn door. Then drive off keeping RPMs at 4k or below till it warms to 80c. I've never had a problem with warm starts.
    Last edited by steve shea; 02-26-2024 at 08:34 AM.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club