Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 9114400120 - Skittles - Here we go again

member #1515
    Wasn't the 3.0 MFI on a different block? A great motor by the way.
    If you put 9.8 compression 2.7 Nikasil pistons and cylinders instead of 8.5 quite a gain on MFI. And you could keep the same mag block.
    I think that's what Chuck Miller did.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Thumbs up

If you put 9.8 compression 2.7 Nikasil pistons and cylinders instead of 8.5 quite a gain on MFI. And you could keep the same mag block.
    I think that's what Chuck Miller did.
    It is indeed... Makes a 'bright performer'...
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

That is exactly the plan!

While looking at a few other 2.7 carreras, we went to visit Manfred at Early911S in Germany... For a guy that self professes to not really like cars, but more the design... he has built quite a gathering of early cars, and a shop to restore them... While there, we looked at 2 Mexico Blue 2.7 Carreras - a 74 and a 75, and a Speedway Green version of the special 76 2.7 MFI cars... I couldn't help but also look at the Pastel Blue 2.2 S and the Gold Green 69 S as well... All were restored and at the extreme high end of the spectrum...

But, while we were there, Mittlemotor is a just a short drive away, so off we went to meet Michael the owner and Hilmar the shop Mgr... Great visit... great shop... and we really liked all the team we met at Mittlemotor, so... Skittles went off to Mittelmotor for the engine rebuild and conversion to a 2.7 MFI with 10:1 compression (the only deviation from standard), and to rebuild the gearbox synchros, anything else that might need doing and to add a ZF LSD...

I had originally intended to drive Skittles a bit before undertaking the work, but even though the engine had great oil pressure, it just never "felt" right, ran rich, had a flat spot from about 3500 RPM up, and the 2nd and 3rd gear synchros were definitely on their last legs... So, I decided to drive Skittles there from Sandgate in the UK, since we are just 10 minutes from the Eurotunnel and fly back from Düsseldorf Airport, which is about 40 minutes away... Hilmar and Michael were very accommodating, and agreed I could bring Skittles in right away... After a thorough test drive and look over the entire car, we made a list of things to do, which included the aforementioned engine and gearbox work, as well as any and all suspension, brake and other work needed to have Skittles running as close to factory fresh as possible - with the little bump in compression... The idea is to keep the characteristic of the 2.7 MFI, but just a bit more power...

Dropping Skittles off at Mittelmotor

IMG_1301.jpg

Rear shot at lift.jpg

A Blood Orange ST build at Mittelmotor - with Skittles in the background

IMG_1299.jpg
    first ride - 10 yrs old in a 73 911S - Silver - I was done for
    Started 'playing' with them in the late 80s
    Started racing a 72 911 T built to 2.9L RSR in SoCal SCCA, PCA, POC early 90s
    Have owned over 50 long hoods from late 80s until 2000
    dropped out from 2000 - 2018 - due to life, work, travel
    Been building a 2.8 'RSR' inspired car since 2018 - 9111121235
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...1121235-a.html

Dwa911, you are not scared to step up to the plate! You should be happy.
    David, the 3.0,Carrera was built using the 3.0RS, 75 turbo aluminum block. I went with 9.5 J&E pistons.

Thanks Rick! Very happy!
    Noting that a 3.0 Carrera MFI build may be what is coming next...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cabell View Post
    Dwa911, you are not scared to step up to the plate! You should be happy.
    David, the 3.0,Carrera was built using the 3.0RS, 75 turbo aluminum block. I went with 9.5 J&E pistons.

Such a great rare color! When I had my early production (#63) US 74 Carrera restored 12 years ago I was really torn about whether to keep the original CIS or convert to MFI. In the end I opted to stay with the original CIS injection, but if I were to do it all over again I would convert to MFI. I commend you on your decision to do the conversion. BTW, one of my pet peeves on the Rennbow site is that they list Lime Green as synonymous with Birch, which we all know are two different colors. I have emailed them to try and correct this obvious error but it still exists! The first two pics on the Rennbow site for Lime Green is my actual car added herein as well.

https://www.rennbow.org/porsche-colors/LimeGreen

IMG_1731.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stevesc_us; 03-15-2024 at 10:17 PM.
    70 914-6 #2615 (Metallic Green) - SOLD
    74 US Carrera Coupe #63 (Lime Green)
    73 911 T Coupe #1891 (Gemini Blue)

Great car and colour Steve! Yes - annoying on Rennbow that they have the 2 mixed up. They have the wrong colour name in German as well...

Thanks on the comments re: 2.7 MFI... i'm keeping all the 2.7 CIS parts in case a future caretaker ever wants to go back to original, but I can't imagine going the other direction...

The engine has come out... and the engine bay definitely needs some cleaning and a new engine sound pad to replace whatever the PO installed...

Engine out.jpg

And starting the tear down... what will we uncover???

Engine on stand for teardown.jpg

Amazing what can happen when someone that doesn't know what they are doing builds an engine... The PO had photos of the engine being rebuilt and new rockers, shafts, E cams, RS pistons and cylinders, etc... but not properly building - too much sealant in the wrong places and not priming the engine before start up can destroy everything quickly... Oddly the engine started and ran fine, and had good oil pressure... cam lobes, rockers, shafts, bearings, crank journals, case bearing seats, valves, heads all now junk... and who know what impressed into cylinder head sealing surface... Looks like it was a good thing I had decided to do a full rebuild to MFI spec...

Photos of the damage...

cam lobes 2.jpg

rockers.jpg

Crank journal scratched 2.jpg

Number 8 bearing.jpg

Rod bearing 1.jpg

Main bearing web 4.jpg

Oil pump 1.jpg

Valve seat.jpg
    Last edited by dwa911; 03-16-2024 at 06:50 AM.

I am sure he will, but check the line bore in the case being magnesium. They all need that done on tear down.