Thread: Steering column bearing/spring confusion

Question Steering column bearing/spring confusion

My steering column is loose, and moves up/down/left/right quite a bit. I have a Momo steering wheel, and it seems some parts were omitted during the changeover (that someone else did). Like, it's a lot—maybe 5mm.

It sure feels like a collar or spacer is missing, but I've read that the spring and collar setup do some magic where everything tightens up once the nut is on. I can't say I understand how. The "Leland" bushing that the 80s cars can upgrade to doesn't seem to apply here.

Among others, I found this useful thread. It seems I'm missing that coil spring for starters, and that is now available again under part number 914-347-713-00. I've also read that 914s have completely different setups here, so there's that...

The ($250) bearing in there spins freely, and when I shined a light down the column, I could see the big circlip towards the bottom and didn't notice any bearing balls rolling around, so I assume I'm good there. I was hoping to pull it out, clean it, and regrease it, but it didn't move much with the pick I was pulling with, and I didn't want to damage anything. It seems like this comes out with a hammer and a drift...Am I dumb to mess with it if it's spinning smoothly?

I'm hoping that this Momo has the same spline length as stock, or the spring might not work to hold the knife edge of the collar in the bearing!

Is this the correct orientation, and is that "cup" I'm looking at in this photo the bearing that is visible on my steering column?

And if anyone knows how to connect the horn on this Momo, I'm all ears!

Quote Originally Posted by Tremelune View Post
    Your bushing is oriented correctly. You need to get the spring that goes under it, though. When you put it all back together Correctly, You will not have any more “wobble”.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Tremelune View Post
    You are missing the spring contact that connects the horn button with the column.

Here is a complete steering wheel spring and bushing configuration.

Bushing Part#: 695.347.725.00.
    Spring Part#: 914 347 713 00
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

This picture shows the horn contact thingy (one the left hand side) you are missing.

You can get one here: https://www.crowderscustomizing.com/...e-_p_2328.html

You also may need a Horn adapter ring: https://www.crowderscustomizing.com/...66_p_2334.html

(disclaimer: I have not used Crowders Customizing. This is just an example. You should be able to get these parts from others as well. Those more knowledgeable on this Forum can help you)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Looks like I'm good on the column except for the spring...

Quote Originally Posted by HarryD View Post
    This picture shows the horn contact thingy (one the left hand side) you are missing.
    Aha! I'll look into that.

I installed a spring with the bushing "pointing" at the column, and the play is gone.