Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The White Collection - redux

Quote Originally Posted by alan hall View Post
    Apparently shipping will be very high. Asked for a quote with their prefered shipping partner on a lot with a few parts. Didn't get a firm quote but sounds like shipping would start in the hundreds of dollars.
    No option to have shipping quotes or estimates up front, feels (and felt) uncomfortable. This lack of transparency made me reluctant in my bidding.
    Nevertheless my reluctance, I won 7 lots which I cannot collect in person and have to rely on the partner RMSothebys recommend.
    Quote to collect 7 lots I won (which can be packed in large box) and ship to Missouri amounts to almost 600$. This is about 85$ per lot.
    To my feeling iindeed quite expensive, but perhaps it will come with a golden ribbon….

I really am impressed with what it looks like an endless number of toolkits, compressors, or other items that I guess should have been with the cars when sold and where (probably stored) auctioned separately..

But I am more impressed with people buying items that are available from Porsche today for much lower money. Case in point, the pepita travel bag for double the money of what Porsche dealers sell them for or the two enamel Porsche signs for 3,720$ before commission and shipping when that sign retails for 400$ from Porsche today... mind boggling!

I just picked up my "winnings" (2 posters and an unglamorous but needed 964 NOS front undertray, fortunately at 1/4 dealer cost). Quite a sight to see all the lots laid out where the cars used to quietly rest. I bid on probably 15 items, all up to, or even a little beyond, what I considered market value...and other than the 3 I won they all just kept going up and up. RM rep told me they grossed 2.5 times their estimate!

Interestingly, on the tables there they had bidder sheets laid out listing all the lots a person won. Some people must have had 50 different lots. I saw one sheet where it looked like the guy had bought nearly all the longhood toolkits and related lots.
    '70 911T Coupe
    '93 964 C2 Coupe

Not a surprise they took 2.5 times the estimate if you see some prices. Just look at lot 1468, 4 wheel caps were sold for more than 2K.
    But a targa rear windshield (lot 635) was sold for $36

Quote Originally Posted by JM9090 View Post
    Not a surprise they took 2.5 times the estimate if you see some prices. Just look at lot 1468, 4 wheel caps were sold for more than 2K.
    But a targa rear windshield (lot 635) was sold for $36
    I don't understand the price paid here...over $500 each? They seem to sell for under $100. What am I missing?

Name:  CA86CA4F-5276-4BEB-B72F-80AEECD24E3C.jpeg
Views: 217
Size:  279.5 KB
    1968 911L Coupe - Golden Green
    1971 911S Coupe - Gemini Blue
    1973 911S Targa - Signal Yellow
    1974 914 2.3 - Sunflower Yellow

Interesting document - 911S with rollbar

Did anyone here end up winning with the lot containing this document? Angebot for 911S with a sturzbügel noted for 333 DM. This was a rare option.

Name:  IMG_4934.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  85.2 KB
    Eric Gratz
    Early 911S member

Parts wanted - Elephant hide seats, 71 911E engine 6211756

Quote Originally Posted by Simonjjb View Post
    I don't understand the price paid here...over $500 each? They seem to sell for under $100. What am I missing?

Name:  CA86CA4F-5276-4BEB-B72F-80AEECD24E3C.jpeg
Views: 217
Size:  279.5 KB
    Yeah I was scratching my head with that one as well. Surely people had some idea what these retailed for? I understand the premiums paid for the NLA parts but…

Quote Originally Posted by dpetterson View Post
    Yeah I was scratching my head with that one as well. Surely people had some idea what these retailed for? I understand the premiums paid for the NLA parts but…
    Perhaps an expensive typing error when bidding?

Hello everyone,

I managed to purchase 4 posters for the garage. Prices all over the place I think for two reasons:
    1. Low prices: incomplete descriptions. Dates and related car model was often not mentioned in description.
    2. Crazy prices: some bidders cannot bother researching the item properly and feel it must be ok and rare because sold by a high end auction house.

Overall, I did feel that the hierarchy of value (things like posters) was respected.

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

I purchased 4 posters and a toolkit. After the Buyer's Premium and taxes, I felt a bit of Buyer's Remorse for the outlay. One of the posters is quite rare (I think) and doesn't come up for sale very often.
    The toolkit, well I paid less than what the "restored" toolkits normally sell for, but still, I thought it was a lot of money.

Finally, the packing & shipping of the posters (they insisted on flat crate shipping) and the toolkit, came to $500! I thought that was a ripoff, and you're basically a captive customer to RM/Sotheby's.
    Other than driving/flying to Texas myself, there didn't seem to be any other option for shipping.
    I honestly think that will be my last online auction.
    Live & learn, my $0.02.
    Mitch M.
    Early 911S Registry Member #3603
    Maryland, USA