Thread: 9113600508

VIN = 9113600508
    Eng# = 6630504
    Trans# = ?
    Prod# = ?

'. . . chassis 9113600508 is one of these 17 Homologation models, and one of just seven examples from the desirable first series of production. Completed in January 1973 and delivered on November 15, this RSH was finished in Grand Prix White with red lettering. A “Händler Nr 100” – or built for factory use – car, this RSH is mentioned as possibly used by Porsche to homologate 7" and 8" Fuchs wheels.

According to documentation on file, the first private owner of chassis 508 was Gilles Berengier of Marseille, France. It is not known how long the car remained in Europe but, by 1989, it was in the possession of Steve Harwin of Ohio, whose correspondence with Porsche about its status as a homologation model is on file. In the early 2000s, this RSH found its way to noted Porsche collector Dr. Richard Moran of Irvine, California.

Dr. Moran has notably owned numerous examples of the Carrera RS, including another Homologation model (chassis 016) that debuted the RS for Porsche at the 1972 Paris salon. Dr. Moran entrusted leading RS authority Nate Cantwell of Collinsville, Connecticut, to restore this RSH with the directive of retaining original panels and parts wherever possible. Faithfully refinished in its original combination of Grand Prix White with red accents, careful attention was paid to ensure the interior and other elements retained the unique features typical of homologation cars. During the same time, Scott Hendry and Dan Reese of Scott’s Independent in Anaheim, California, performed a mechanical restoration using plating, painting, and coating techniques consistent with original build processes. The correct “small hole” 7" and 8" Fuchs alloy wheels were refinished by expert Harvey Weidman. In spring 2017, this RSH was featured in an extensive article published in 000 magazine about the homologation models with reminiscences by its restoration team. Subsequently, Dr. Moran sold the Carrera RS to the current owner, a Swiss enthusiast with an extensive stable of the finest road and racing Porsches.

Accompanied by books, tools, jack, spare tire, and documentation, this RSH is also offered with a matching-numbers copy of Carrera RS by Dr. Thomas Gruber and Dr. Georg Konradsheim. Recently fettled by an RS expert in anticipation of this sale, this 1973 Porsche 911 RS 2.7 is one of only 17 examples delivered in its purest homologation form, and represents a rare opportunity to acquire an RS with these particular qualities
    . . .'

https://www.goodingco.com/lot/1973-p...-homologation/

Previous mentions . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...08#post1174650
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...=1#post1174191

Attached Images Attached Images       

We Can Be Heroes

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    I did the gearbox in 508, Nate and Jim did all the body work and a lot of assembly. Scott and Dan built engine for 508 and engines gearboxes for some of the other cars, and a lot of assembly and testing. Charlie and I did a lot of drive train work and assembly of some of the other cars, 5 RS’s & 3 R’s. Our teams did 8 cars in 10 years for Dick. This is the trans for 508. I’ve tried to get answers about homologation cars, but answers are always a little foggy. We know when new items were introduced, they came with a homologation car, like Alu crankcase. Could a car not receiving any new parts be a homologation car simply by not being converted to 471 or 472? Gordon
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by gled49 View Post
    I’ve tried to get answers about homologation cars, but answers are always a little foggy. We know when new items were introduced, they came with a homologation car, like Alu crankcase. Could a car not receiving any new parts be a homologation car simply by not being converted to 471 or 472? Gordon
    Gordon
    that is a very good question that I have been trying to track down an authoritative answer for as well. While my view is not authoritative I think that for cars up to vin #1036 (which I understand is the vin number where the process for building an homologation spec car first, weighing it , and then converting it ceased and they were built like a normal production car), the RSH were as you suggest simply cars not converted to M471, M472 or M491. However for cars with vins higher than #1036 they were cars where special parts, mostly for use in competition in either the current year, or more likely the 1974 RS's, which were based on the 73 Homologation process, were introduced and homologated.

Just to add fuel to the fire in this debate vin #1036 is described in period documentation of the END if cars designated as 911RS with cars produced after that being officially designated 911SC (although apparently not by the marketing department and certainly not by the press and owners since)
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Hello ,

I noticed prior to the auction , this car was mentioned in a discussion of Factory use cars , with the series letter code ( ' F ' in this case ) along with unit number on a blue plastic tag in drivers door jam. It was also mentioned that Herbie Muller was to have used this car. Yet , there was NO mention of this in the auction details . Is this fact ? Seems strange it was not mentioned .

If this is the case , is it known to have been used in any type of period competition by anyone ? I noticed the fire suppression system fitted along with rollbar.

this is what it used to have the F23 signifying the 23rd factory owned car in their accounting records for the F year model
    I understood that it was Herbert Muller’s road car (ie assigned "company car" ) and therefore not likely to have been in competition although it did also have a matter rollcage in it.
    I see that it still has the matter half cage but wonder if it still has the dymo tag on the door.
    Name:  f23.png
Views: 88
Size:  842.4 KBName:  matter.png
Views: 90
Size:  1.01 MB
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776