Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: '71 T Coupe - Battery Choices/Configuration

'71 T Coupe - Battery Choices/Configuration

Hello,
    Getting my dormant 911T back in running order. Is it still preferred to use a dual battery set-up? i heard some have opted to use only one. If so, where do you locate that one battery? What batteries are you using that are still readily available?

Thanks for your feedback!
    Rod
    '71 911T Sporto

More looks over here in 'Technical' hages ...
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I use dual battery.
    The size is 36ah

You can easily spend $250 to $400 per battery.

I don’t do that, I spend less than $90 a battery, on Amazon, you can get a 36ah interstate battery. AGM.
    You buy brass terminals that thread on the battery.
    You lay the battery on its side, so it doesn’t touch any metal.

I attach a photo later, as it is equivalent to 1000 words.

Name:  IMG_5208.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  99.5 KB

Name:  IMG_5207.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  104.1 KB

I had to rethread so the automotive terminal could screw on.
    But you can buy hollow terminals and put a socket head cap screw inside.
    I put a wood 2x6 or 2x8 under the battery so I could use factory ‘hold down strap’.

Name:  IMG_5209.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  38.4 KB

These are hollow, I cut off the threads, drill a hole and use a separate bolt to screw it on.
    I use the bolt on top to permanently attach a trickle charger.
    Last edited by Scott A; 03-29-2024 at 06:16 PM.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Quote Originally Posted by hages View Post
    Hello,
    Getting my dormant 911T back in running order. Is it still preferred to use a dual battery set-up? i heard some have opted to use only one. If so, where do you locate that one battery? What batteries are you using that are still readily available?

Thanks for your feedback!
    Rod
    These threads may be helpful. . .

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...dual-batteries

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...double-battery

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...tteries-2.html

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...tteries-2.html

And for what it’s worth, I recently purchased and installed two Sonnenschein A512/40A batteries. Not the least expensive option, but very pleased with performance, fitment, dual-battery originality and like the fact that the batteries are not vented. I keep them topped off with a Battery Tender® 6V/12V, 5 AMP Lead Acid & Lithium Selectable Battery Charger.

Regarding your question on where to install a single battery, my ‘72 previously had a single battery in the driver-side battery box, with the cable to the passenger-side battery box disconnected.
    Last edited by McOtto; 03-30-2024 at 05:07 AM.
    1972 911T Targa
    1985 911 Carrera (with circa 1988 RUF 3.4L 260 hp DIN Engine Kit)

Just a thought, that an uncramped area for a battery is a m-a-j-o-r benefit, and so the idea of having twin batteries in opposing close knit spots, is nightmarish imo.

12V that can be quickly disconnected, connected, checked for voltage, etc, becomes a pleasure to work on, maintain as well. Porsche did a nice job with the SC, having one pretty accessible. After that, the smugglers box is an alternative for racers and track cars, though ends up somewhat buried. If not directly on top (a favorite) perhaps half the battery could be situated downward yet with terminals a few inches above ?

My car came with a single battery in the smugglers box (rennline makes a mount for it). When i restored it i switched back to 2 batteries in the orig spots. Its good to have the weight up front in the corners. We put 2 Miata batteries in and they fit perfectly. they have been running strong for a 3-4 years now no issues at all. Would not go back to single.
    Tim
    1970 911T

Not original, but note space [ around ] the battery.

Cables and hardware...bulletproof :

Name:  batt.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  75.0 KB

Thank you all that responded. Super helpful!!
    '71 911T Sporto

member #1515
    Not a fan of exposed positive terminals.
    I went through many variations, and if you don't want to spend on the sonnencheins two Miatas are close, but will require spacers. At least the terminals are not as exposed.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    Not a fan of exposed positive terminals.
    I went through many variations, and if you don't want to spend on the sonnencheins two Miatas are close, but will require spacers. At least the terminals are not as exposed.
    Strongly agree with David’s recommendation. I used these readily available covers on the positive terminals (Part No. 999 611 104 00).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1972 911T Targa
    1985 911 Carrera (with circa 1988 RUF 3.4L 260 hp DIN Engine Kit)