Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can the minimal gauges be upgrade to full S spec?

Can the minimal gauges be upgrade to full S spec?

I'll be getting a 1973.5 911T in a few months and one of items I noticed was the reduced instrumentation on this car.

The 1st gauge from the left only has fuel level and not the oil tank level.
    The next gauge moving right only has oil temp but not the oil pressure.

Certainly I can buy better gauges or get mine modified.
    Do most car's wiring harnesses support this additional instrumentation.
    In other words....are the necessary wires behind the dash and in the engine compartment to add the oil tank level and oil pressure readings?
    Obviously I'll need some senders (oil pressure and oil tank level) as well.

Is this a fairly straightforward job to take on?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V

I have a 73.5 with S Gauges, so I would guess that the wiring harness is all there for them.
    Member #3896
    1973.5 911 T
    1974 911
    1974 CB750K

I'm sure the harness is the same.

John Bell in Anaheim would be the one to ask. He restores a ton of gauges and Modifies them alot.
    1965 911 Factory Paint to Sample Orange
    1967 911S Bahama Yellow
    1968 911 S Blood Orange
    1971 911S Gold Metallic Peter Gregg
    1974 Carrera RS Blue Metallic
    1990 RUF RCT Estonia's car

Quote Originally Posted by 1970rsr View Post
    John Bell in Anaheim would be the one to ask. He restores a ton of gauges and Modifies them alot.
    Do you have a contact number for him?

Thanks,
    John
    1959 356 Coupe, 1600 Super, sold
    1960 356 Roaster, race car, SCCA, sold
    1960 356 Roadster, show car, sold.
    1962 356 Cab, show car, sold.
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 54 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 14 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Doug, the wiring should all be in place. The tank however might not have the opening for the sending unit. You might luck out if they have installed a tank with blank cover. Modifying a non sending unit take is not possible in my opinion. The 73 tank is unique one year only, so be careful what u wish for. I bought a new tank for my 73, 40 years ago it was non sending unit tank. I had the gauge, so I just check the oil with the stick. I bought a sending unit tank to replace the other, it’s still sitting on the shelf. Just look up at the outside of the tank, you will be able to tell. Oil pressure should just require replacing oil switch with oil sending unit. G

John bell made me this triple gauge and is in the process of changing a later electronic speedometer to an early green gauge looking piece. He’s also modifying a set of 73 gauges to iroc specs. I’m super happy with his work, he’s very easy to talk to and prices are reasonable for full custom work and general cleanup.
    A part isn't purchased until paid.

The 9 Store LLC.

As gled49 says , the concern is not the wiring but obtaining and installing another oil tank , and it will cost more than you think to modify the gauges .

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Doug, be sure to check out 73 tank thread in Teck.

John's phone # is 714-553-1261.
    He is doing a set of gauges for me for my next project.
    This is just a basic first idea picture. The top right is a VDO electric outside temp gauge missing some numbers at this point. These VDO units are either NLA or about to go NLA unfortunately. North Hollywood did a SWB one for me 12 years ago based on one of those VDO gauges. This one is being designed to match the cosmetics of this batch of gauges. It will go far left. The r and e on oil pressure needs adjusting. The engine compartment will have two gauges. A VDO engine hour meter, and a duel AFR gauge with enough lead to go through the side glass and hang from the dash for tuning purposes.
    These gauges are for a 69 so they will be white on black. I'm not sure on needles yet. Red or white?

Next winter I'll have John make me a SWB triple and tach like the one pictured. I'll have a quad gauge and maybe a tach for sale at that time.
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 03-31-2024 at 03:26 PM.
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche