Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floor rubber plugs

Floor rubber plugs

What are people using for the rubber plugs up the centre of the underneath floor for a 72/73 car as can be seen in this pic of a car I once owned.

I got something from Porsche that was cone shaped and too big for the holes

Thanks Clyde
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

I have installed those plugs Clyde for decades. I remember they are a VW part number. I’ll find it and post it.

Pretty sure it's these; they look correct on my car.

999-703-013-50 Fan Shroud Rubber Plug

https://www.stoddard.com/99970301350.html.html
    - 1969 911T Ossi Blue #3981

Quote Originally Posted by TheTorch View Post
    Pretty sure it's these; they look correct on my car.

999-703-013-50 Fan Shroud Rubber Plug

https://www.stoddard.com/99970301350.html.html
    They are the ones I bought, too fat to go in an original floor pan hole and didn't feel like drilling slightly bigger holes
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cabell View Post
    I have installed those plugs Clyde for decades. I remember they are a VW part number. I’ll find it and post it.
    Just to be clear Ric talking about the plugs down the centre of the tunnel not the 4 outside flat floppy ones which you had previously found the part number for (also VW part number)
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

I knew exactly what you were talking about, but confused the part number. Yes, the VW part number is for the floppy outside ones. Here is the part number on the slip where I order 12 separately for the car I am doing now. Different from the number torch posted.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rick,
    I bought some of these (same part #) years ago from Stoddard and they are too large to fit the holes in the center of the pan on my 1973. Advertised to be correct but labeled fan shroud plug.

Mark
    Mark Curtin
    Early S Registry #369
    Rgruppe #247

member #1515
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Clyde
    VW parts maybe identical or come in different size to the Porsche bungs that you and some found are too big but it’s dimensions and the VW part number are shown here.

For example this VW bung seems similar but is (much) smaller:
    N 0200223 Bungs 8X1X8,5 (mm?)

The Porsche one seems to be 12mm
    Name:  IMG_5381.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  64.6 KB

This website in Holland seems to have a range of similar looking VW bungs but in various sizes : 8mm , 10mm and (less likely the bigger) 15mm and maybe they stock other sizes too?
    Perhaps one of the various smaller VW type 2 ones might fit if you can measure the original.

https://bus-ok.nl/Type2-bay-blanking...artnr-N0200223

https://bus-ok.nl/Type2-bay-blanking...m-OEM-N0200241

https://bus-ok.nl/Type2-bay-blanking...-15mm-N0200271

If one of these are the correct size I’d expect using the relevant VW part they’d be available from an Aus VW dealer. Or International outfits who deal in type 2 parts like “justkampers” in uk might be a source if the NL website won’t don’t ship down-under.

This is a very original 73 I took photo of but I didn’t take measurements on the visible parts of the bung ( shame on me):
    Name:  IMG_5374.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  69.1 KB

Unfortunately based on quick check the paper factory maroon parts book of 72/3 doesn’t seem to show the bungs on line drawing or listings in relevant section.

HTH

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 04-07-2024 at 04:15 PM.

Clyde
    I just measured my original ones and they seem to be 14 or so mm on the top as fitted
    so I guess the hole they fit into would be a couple of mm smaller

maybe if you have 12 mm ones they might just need a bit of lube and a rubber mallet to get them to fit in ??
    I suspect smaller than 12 mm would go through the hole or fall out
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776