Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Floor rubber plugs

I have never seen a correct one in the flesh when I try to remove a 50 year old one they always tear and I am left with only the head part
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

i do have an assorted box full of different versions of those plugs(mostly used ones but also NOS)--they came in different shapes,sizes,material and even the rubber ones exist in grey and black.

Clyde-if you can send me exact measurements /and a foto (possibly missed that part since i did not read the hole thread)of the ones you need i`ll have a look whats there.
    franz

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    Clyde
    I just measured my original ones and they seem to be 14 or so mm on the top as fitted
    so I guess the hole they fit into would be a couple of mm smaller

maybe if you have 12 mm ones they might just need a bit of lube and a rubber mallet to get them to fit in ??
    I suspect smaller than 12 mm would go through the hole or fall out
    Clyde from Hugh we now know the approx size of the visible part of the plug/bung but what is the size of the hole you are left with when removing the ones that break? Perhaps the hole is not consistent in the original sheet metal of 72/3 or the holes have become clogged/ obstructed behind if floor is refinished?

Are the plugs you have got that you say seem too big 12mm in the narrowest part and 14mm on part that would be visible once fitted?

Since several folks here suggest the same Porsche part number maybe particular batch of replacement stoppers you bought have become dry and inflexible so to Hugh’s point might just need more persuasion and some lube if they are to spec (assuming 12mm narrowest and 14mm top)? The smaller (too small?) VW one in I sent unlike these seem to give three measurements for N0200223 Bungs 8X1X8,5 (mm?) not just the single 12mm diameter if Stoddart which correspond to the hole diameter, I suppose.

It would be helpful if you and or Rick still have them loose measure the Porsche part at the three or four points and compare to the hole in your sheet metal to see why and where it seems too big compared to the holes in floorpan :
    Name:  IMG_5381.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  64.6 KB
    Last edited by 911MRP; 04-08-2024 at 12:47 AM.

Taken now, 72t.
    One further back was just under 8mm.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    S Registry#2021

Armed with new determination out came the jack and a tool I fashioned to today that looked something like a dentist might use and success

Now I am not sure if these plugs were there originally I have known this car since 1995 but to my great surprise they look exactly like the ones pictured here and perhaps Hugh is right I just need to use for persuasion

The outside diameter of the plug is 15mm, the inside diameter of the cone is 12mm at its widest and the narrow stem can't be more than 6 or 7mm to fit in a hole that I get to be close to 8mm like Sean measured. The plugs can move a little side to side but not much.

Now to make sure I have the correct part number eeny meeny miny mo
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

and after a bit of hunting found one of the previous ones that had torn during removal. It also is 15mm outer diameter.

The diameter of the centre core is a touch under 8mm so just have to figure the easiest way of getting the 12mm max cone diameter to fit into the 8mm hole and will all be good. Maybe my newly fashioned removal tool will work well in reverse of perhaps Hughs suggestion....brute force and lubrication will do the trick

As you can tell didn't have much to do tonight
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cabell View Post
    I knew exactly what you were talking about, but confused the part number. Yes, the VW part number is for the floppy outside ones. Here is the part number on the slip where I order 12 separately for the car I am doing now. Different from the number torch posted.
    Thanks Rick, I am going with your number when ordering tomorrow.
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

I will say, they seem big when installing, but takes patience.

The Stoddard ones went in on my 69 with a little silicone grease and a little patience. They look correct to my eye.
    - 1969 911T Ossi Blue #3981