Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I get the "yellow" back on an S Front Trombone oil cooler

You might just paint them satin black also as that color radiates heat the best which is what you’re really after.
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V

Guys,

To answer the 'what year' question, the cooler is a 73 steel oil cooler that did not originally come with the car. I found the 73 cooler and the lines in a racing shop junk pile a long time ago. You remember the days when 'original' equipment was replaced by 'more efficient' (as in Sport Seats). I negotiated a deal and took the whole affair home and put it on what became my track car, a 73 T with a 2.7 mfi 8.5 c/r engine. Now that my racing/DE days are over, this is my project car to return to factory original specification-but still with the 2.7 engine and front oil cooler. The original mfi T engine is in storage
    Also, I had a conversation with PCNA a long time ago about when original equipment front trombone oil coolers were factory installed on US spec cars. The answer was: only on S models factory ordered with air conditioning. Porsche concluded that nobody would drive an 2.4 litre S model hard enough in the States to require a front oil cooler. Even my 73 S with Sportomatic did not come from factory with a front oil cooler. However, I also added a factory 1973 front trombone cooler to that car a very long time ago and also added Air Conditioning.

Best wishes and thanks to all

John

Tallies with what I suggested in my prior post not standard (or maybe not that commonplace) equipment on 911 for USA in model 73. The oil cooler was standard equipment on 73 model in British market S and RS despite the climate in UK being moderated by the Gulf Stream so climate does not reach the highs or low temps of that in much of North America. Pretty sure cooler standard S and RS for continental Europe and so called “rest of world” markets similar equipment spec but folks from those markets would be more familiar with facts. Air conditioning if a factor in oil cooler equipment was not usually ticked as option by UK buyers in that era also due to the quite moderate range of temps through year here so that’s not the reason oil cooler was specified as standard on those c16 EG S & RS cars. Sunroof was popular uk paid for extra option at that time. Suspect it is an high uptake of sunroof option a reason for not many choosing aircon here . Aircon probably more important and more in some hotter RoW markets in 73.

I need to check my car’s oil lines and cooler loop but pretty sure steel yellow cadmium plated then over-painted black; as an early RS made in calendar 72 months it was completed before the brass connectors of April 73. I have spares of entire oil system for 73 car tucked away in storage similar story came across them unloved and thought prudent to have a backup set of everything as some parts are one year only.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 04-15-2024 at 04:34 AM.

A polished surface will dissipate less heat than an unpolished one. Use a High Heat paint, as it is a very thin cote, and will dissipate heat better than a thick cote of regular flat black.
    Cad Plating still available at Van Nuys Plating in the San Fernando Valley.
    Bob B
    Last edited by SIMI BOB; 04-27-2024 at 06:08 AM.

Bob,

I believe Van Nuys Plating does both Cad 2 and Yellow Zink... Give'm a call:
    https://vannuysplating.com/
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

As it works out, the corvette, mustang, and even the Mini forums all said the same thing. So I have stripped the cooler to bare steel and clear coated it.

John

Painted black will dissipate way more heat than bare metal clear coated. Google is your friend.
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V