Thread: Flasher Kaput, electronic not working properly

Flasher Kaput, electronic not working properly

1970 911 E original transistorized turn signal and hazard flasher stopped working. Bought generic 4 prong electronic flasher to replace and getting weird behavior, namely both dash indicator lights flashing with left or right signal. Do I need a more specific flasher to the 911? On the bench, I can make the flasher work, but terminal C seems non-functional as a positive or negative terminal. In the schematic, it looks like C is providing ground to the dash indicator lights.

Welcome to the forum. The attached link chronicles my experience with the flasher relay on my ‘72

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...1-Flasher-Unit
    1972 911T Targa
    1985 911 Carrera (with circa 1988 RUF 3.4L 260 hp DIN Engine Kit)

Thanks. I was thinking all 4 prong flashers with the 31/49/49a/C terminals were the same. Apparently not!

I ordered a flasher from Zims that they said works just before reading this thread. If it doesn't, I'll try the modified Novita. I actually was trying the stock Novita now and while it works, there's odd behavior, mainly that both dash indicator lights flash when either left or right turn signal is activated.

Do you know if the dash indicator lights illuminated when the hazard switch was engaged? With the stock Novita, mine don't, but the red hazard switch light does.

Quote Originally Posted by thelews View Post
    I was thinking all 4 prong flashers with the 31/49/49a/C terminals were the same. Do you know if the dash indicator lights illuminated when the hazard switch was engaged?
    For 4 prong flashers, the difference is in the C terminal function. On the Hella TBB3 Porsche originally used, C terminal is a pilot. The attached wiring diagrams are for a ‘72. During my troubleshooting effort, I marked them up to help me understand device and circuit functions.

On your question regarding the dash (turn signal) indicator lights, no, they should not blink when the hazard switch is engaged. Only the hazard switch light should.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by McOtto; 04-14-2024 at 07:21 AM.
    1972 911T Targa
    1985 911 Carrera (with circa 1988 RUF 3.4L 260 hp DIN Engine Kit)

I went through a similar problem, see post #7 here:
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...ght-is-buzzing
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833