Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuchs 7R wheels with 215/60 R15 Pirelli CN 36 tires

I had thought the 914-6/GT was the major reason Porsche produced 7r's, even though we all assume they come from the 911 R or fronts on the S/T (otherwise, they are VW wheels...I kid)?

I run CN36s on 6r and 7r's 185/70-15 all-around. No fender rolling. If you want the 215s in back, you need to roll your fender. The look of the square tires, stretched in back, is perfect, at least for a stock car IMHO.

Also, having autocrossed the CN36s a few weeks ago, very aggressively, they are phenomenal tires. So much better than the sprint classics. I honestly can't imagine needing more meat driving on the street. At this point, brakes are the limiting factor on my street car.
    MBR #3926
    '71 911 T Targa "Rick White"
    '71 911 E "Karen"
    '70 S/T
    '16 CD
    '10 E61 "Vomit Comet"

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    Well yes but, not quite. The discussion is around the 7R. The ‘68 911R ran staggered 6” and 7” and was considered a very limited production run. Makes me want to go look at the original 70S liteweight again because that would have been the next logical production run to use the staggered wheels.
    Michael,

I was providing input to the “rattlecan” on which cars used 7J per request in the part of his mesage I’ve underlined in his post.
    Quote Originally Posted by rattlecan View Post
    My car is a '71, no flares.
    I'm confused. I have a set of 7J's and they require a spacer to move the wheel inward.

I have 15 mm spacers and thinking of trying 13 mm spacers to move more inward as they touch when going over a dip or large depression in the highway.

What cars ran 7J's and which cars ran 7R's?

Thanks
    I have always accepted Paul Frere view on this particular point of what was first use of the wider rear stagger on 911; source Porsche 911 Story. He explains it here:
    Name:  IMG_5529.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  67.2 KB

A friend has one of the special Sport of 70 sold in Germany but not discussed wheels and tyres. I have possibly one if the prettiest photos of any 911 I’ve ever seen that he took of that car but would have to find image to see if can make our what wheel and tyre he has fitted

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 04-16-2024 at 10:18 AM.

@rickwhite do you have pictures of the 185's on 7R's that you could post? Really like to see how that looks.

I love this car so darn much - I am always happy to share photos. The first few are right after I got the 7r's back from Harvey, hence no center caps. Harvey does such an amazing job refinishing these wheels. The car just sort of looks right, and I prefer the stealth approach. Someone who knows these cars can probably figure out it is a hot rod, but most people just think it is a pretty classic that takes 11 seconds to get to 60 mph.

The car is mostly original (down to the dent in the license plate panel), so I didn't want to roll the fenders on original Porsche metal. After really pushing the tires and testing them at the limit, I am totally fine without larger tires in back. There is no need. The car just dances around backroads. It has a LSD on the 911 transmission, so that helps a lot too.

And to be clear, the engine in this is some insane 2.8 built by Automobile Associates. It is much faster than the 2.7 RS engine, so I'm not tooting around with a stock 2.2T engine, not that there is anything wrong with that, but the car's power is about as much as you can get from an early case without pushing the compression up beyond pump gas. It is frighteningly quick, and the tires are more than adequate.

Name:  111.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  213.2 KB

Name:  222.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  210.2 KB

Name:  333.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  184.3 KB

Name:  4444.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  229.4 KB

Name:  555.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  153.4 KB
    MBR #3926
    '71 911 T Targa "Rick White"
    '71 911 E "Karen"
    '70 S/T
    '16 CD
    '10 E61 "Vomit Comet"

Thx for posting. Engine sounds cool. Pics of that beast?

I love the color, wheels, and lights! What are those, Cibie?

I am running 7R 215's on my LWB, but with higher ride height. I like the offset look.

Thanks for the photos Rick. That 2.8 engine must be insane!

To me, 185 tires look OK on 7R wheels, but better on 6” wheels because they are less stretched. Which eliminates the need for expensive 7R wheels. Originally on the 911R the 7R wheels were introduced of course to run wider tires so I’m still wondering what tire sizes they used back then.
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

Do you have pics @cbpiii?
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

Here you go.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Dunlop 185 X 15
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

On my 1970T I run 15” 7Js and 215 Pirelli CN36s on the rear. How would you use spacers to move the wheels inward? I have the exact same problem - My tires rub slightly over dips just as you describe.

Quote Originally Posted by rattlecan View Post
    My car is a '71, no flares.
    I'm confused. I have a set of 7J's and they require a spacer to move the wheel inward.

I have 15 mm spacers and thinking of trying 13 mm spacers to move more inward as they touch when going over a dip or large depression in the highway.

What cars ran 7J's and which cars ran 7R's?

Thanks