Decided to replace the rusty screw holding my headlight chrome trim ring to my car. Figured to be a 5 minute job.

Took old one out and found it to be a sheet metal screw. Per PET it is a M5-16. Went to hardware store and bought one. Tried to install and stripped the head.

Got another one from the hardware store and ran my M5 tap through the welded in nut. Before placing the trim ring back on, I inserted the screw into the retapped hole. Went all the way in. Put trim ring on and inserted screw, went in most of the way and got stuck. I had to cut the head off to remove. Needed to use my vice grips to free it.

Went back to hardware store and got a stainless steel self tapping screw since I figured the threads were hosed. Put the ring on, inserted the screw and as I started to tighten it, the weld on the captive nut failed and fell off with the screw firmly attached. After about 20 minutes of pulling and turning I was able to extract the screw.

Back to the hardware store to get a speednut as I did not want to try welding a nut in the tight area of the headlight bucket. Installed the speednut and finally attached the trim ring with my new sheet metal screw.