Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 85L tank + compressor + collapsable spare

thback

85L tank + compressor + collapsable spare

Has anybody more info on the location of compressor, wiring? what wheel and tire the spare was made of (5.5J or 6J, steel or Fuchs alu), etc. Brett J's bible has a pic, parts manual the numbers but no further info.

Tnx
    Tom

CBOYER
    Can help as I have 2 x 2.4S cars fitted with the tanks.

My understanding was that all 1973 2.4S cars were fitted with the tanks but I have had prior infor from the USA to dispute that. Certainly in Australia that was true.

Wheel is steel 15 x 5.5 fitted with the special BFGoodrich space saver tyre that was 165 x 15.

I have never tried to remove the tyre from the rim. Looks impossible to me. I like the bit in the handbook that says don't exceed 100mph with the space saver on . I wouldn't be game to go 100kph with it on!

The compressors supplied in Australia were Canadian units and these fitted under the trunk carpet between the battery and the spare tyre on the passenger side for LHD cars.

Not sure what you mean by wiring as the tank has none except for the fuel tank level sender.

The photo on page 37 from Brett Johnsons book is spot on for my cars. The compressor would fit in the bottom left corner of that photo.

Anything else let me know.

Clyde Boyer

Roland Kunz

collapsable spare

Hello

Porsche used a standard steel rim with a slightly larger valve steem hole. Mostly manufactored Kronprinz ( KPZ in Circle ). But also Südrad made them ( SD in Circle or written out )

Some cars had Fuchs or Mahle rims to save a bit wight. At laest the RS 0013 came with a Fuchs spare rim but I´m not sure if it was done as a prototype handling or for visuall reasons.

Tyre can be removed and reasembled by good tire workers.

Tires are very safe and Porsche drivers testet them on tops peed to find out if they can use them on race and rally events. They are not the best performer but made high speeds possible. But those tires are now over 2 decades unused in the cars and ozone and battery acid take there tool.

The early compressors wher in a blue vinyl covered cardbox and made by Bayrische Guss Werke. They had a single cylinder and a black engine body. The box also had two adapter for bikes and balls plus a leather pouch with a Motometer tire gauge. The cable was fixed to the compressor and ap. 3 m long. The connector was pressed in the cigarette lighter plug but ther was also a adaptercable with batteryclamps aviable from the factory. RS and competition cars had a fill bootle ( Gray or Orange ) as the bootles could fill in several secounds versus the 10-20 minutes with the compressor.

Grüsse

thback

Thanks Clyde and Roland,

This answers my question more than completely! Thanks for the contribution!

Tom

P.s. Roland, kommst du aus Deutschland?

thback

Is the collapsable tyre still available? Or use one of another Porsche Series possible? (I thought that 968 had collapsable spare as well).

Tom

CBOYER
    Not sure if its still available but I would assume so as it has been used on many later models also.

Original part number was 911 361 022 10 see if that supercedes to another available part number.

CBOYER
    Sorry Tom that was the rim part number the tyre part number is 911 361 506 01.

Good luck.

Clyde

thback

I have a KPZ wheel indeed, but the size is 4.5J x 15. Could this be correct? It has a stamp in it 12, with 65 under it. I would presume this is an older steel wheel from another/older series?

Tom

Roland Kunz

collapsable spare

Hello

Collapsibles wher also used in 924/931/944/951/928.

Newer Porsches ( 964, 968, 928 S4 ) have alloy rims for the spare.

The KPZ is a standard 1965 rim and normaly not made for the collapsible tire. But some used them to save wight and you can fill the valve with the compressor and unscrew the valve to bleed.

P.s. Roland, kommst du aus Deutschland

Exaclement, Stuttgart, mon ami.

How did you know ? Where did I made a misstake ?

AAAAAAAhhhhh; Grüsse !

lilacRS
    The book "Carrera RS" by Konradsheim/Gruber talks about the equipment that came w/the RS's which had the larger fuel tank. They state that the touring RS's spare came with the steel 5.5" wheel, while the lightweights had the 6" fuchs. It doesn't go into too much detail regarding the compressor, but I understand most cars came with the compressor made in canada, in the black/yellow box. My RS came w/the blue boxed compressor that Roland mentions, I didnt think it was correct, so I went out of my way to get the canadian compressor as well which I use only for showing the car.

Both the canadian compressor and the spare wheel/tire seems to show up at most swap meets i go to in the USA, most have a wheel datestamp starting after 7/73, which would make be believe that the spacesaver was standard on cars built starting in 74. I'm still looking for a wheel w/the datestamp of 11/72 or older....

Perry