Thread: gear shift knob on 911

tommy911t

gear shift knob on 911

ive checked all the books guys and im still a little confused. my shift knob (73.5 911t) has the crest but no shift pattern. i see nothing like this in restoration books. i was also wondring, does anyone have experience with this year of 911t's?
    thanks dudes

jkolesa

re: shift knob

as far as i know the only knob porsche used was the plastic tapered ball (3" long) with the clear insert on top that covers the shift pattern. do you have this knob with a different insert? if so a previous owner may have added the crest. my 71s came with a small leather knob with a crest on top (aftermarket). it seems people thought replacing the shift knob was a cool upgrade (go figure, they also tried to paint the crest on my horn button with yellow & red paint: what were they thinking?). i got an original knob in exellent condition for $35 from parts heaven (800-767-7250).

Jim Alton

Early 911 Gearshift Knobs

There were actually a couple changes through the early years.

The original 911 knob used in '65 carried over from the 356C. It has no gearshift pattern and is sort of "mushroom" or "trumpet" shaped.

Also, the first gershift knobs screwed on, but it wasn't too many years till Porsche switched to a press-on knob.

Back when classic Porsches were new, Road & Track, Car & Driver, etc. carried ads from Villem Haan, MG Mitten, and Amco (is that spelled right?) which offered things like Jim Clark driving gloves, genuine walnut gershift knobs with gear pattern or crest, and not terribly expensive Heuer stopwatches and Halda Speedpilots and rally odometers (sigh).

A lot of our cars still have Amco bars. I wish I knew where to find/could afford the Heuer watches...

Jim Alton
    jhaltonii@earthlink.net
    1965 Porsche 911 coupe

tommy

thanks for all that info. my knob has the crest and is "leather" cone. it slides on and fastens with an allen. it sounds like it is time for an original. i saw new ones in tweeks for 40 bucks but im sure there are used ones about. thanks again.

CBOYER56
    Tommy, if you found an original I'd love to know where as I need one also