Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shades of Green

Question Shades of Green

I'm considering new paint and have decided on a darker green. Paintscratch lists the following colors for 73. Irish Green L213, Leaf Green L218, Kelly Green L225, Lilac (?) L341, Zamberi Green L64K. My color vision is not good enough to visualize the whole car based on the small samples. If you have a car with any of these colors, can you post a pic or a link....TIA
    http://www.classicvelocity.com
    70 911T Targa
    70 911E
    73 914

If you go flying back through time and you see somebody else flying forward into the future, it's probably best to avoid eye contact....

pwd72's green is the sharpest car. he just got the camera, so do a search.
    72 911t * 74 914 2.0

Irish Green

Paul's (pwd72) is Irish Green (I believe). My car was repainted 213 Irish Green in 1989. Just last night I was color comparing Paintscratch's version of L213 IG with my car and a little remaining touch-up paint (yes, a 14 year-old, still liquid, bottle of paint - stranger than fiction!). Anyway, it doesn't match very well. I have lots of pictures on my site, each with a ambient light induced unique shade of green.
    Greg DuPertuis

1972 911T
    Leesburg, VA

Re: Irish Green

Originally posted by rs911t
    Paul's (pwd72) is Irish Green (I believe). My car was repainted 213 Irish Green in 1989. Just last night I was color comparing Paintscratch's version of L213 IG with my car and a little remaining touch-up paint (yes, a 14 year-old, still liquid, bottle of paint - stranger than fiction!). Anyway, it doesn't match very well. I have lots of pictures on my site, each with a ambient light induced unique shade of green.
    That's funny Greg...I still have the little touch-up container that came with my car...and there is still Irish Green inside, still liquid....Think we should have a DNA test done??? And you are correct. Too many lighting variations to really show the color accurately on a computer screen...scanned or digital. You just need to see it...alas, I didn't get "the camera"...nothing digital here. All I have are scanned pics from color prints or digital camera images sent by a friend.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

To illustrate what what Greg & I are talking about...I'll post two pics of the same "Irish Green" car...both taken with the same camera, same film, then scanned on the same scanner. It's the same paint in both pics, Irish green, as formulated and sprayed by the factory back in 1972...hard to believe, but the color really does depend on the light intensity. Pic #1...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Pic #1 was done in a shady area, but during a bright day...next, a pic taken in full sun...

finally, a pic taken in full sun, but a different camera, a 35mm point & shoot, while Cindy & I were taking a little run up a nearby mountain pass. The color is the same, but slightly different, depending on the light...

Here's another...part of the rear license panel, taken by a friend with a sony digital camera, then downloaded here. All this to demonstrate that I don't think Irish Green is a single color...

The last pic is the "true" irish green. I think ...
    Greg DuPertuis

1972 911T
    Leesburg, VA

Originally posted by rs911t
    The last pic is the "true" irish green. I think ...
    That's what's weird about the color...all the same car, all the same paint. Last pic was a digital camera with flash. I'm thinking it depends on the light hitting the paint, because I've noticed the same changes just looking at the car...it looking lighter or darker to me depending on the lighting.