Thread: undercoating and carburation

snowbound

Unhappy undercoating and the enemy

Some of you are aware that I have been wiating for my California 67 911 with S cams to finally arrive up here in Alaska.

Well my ship finally arrived in Jan. She is sweet and very original. So nice that I am reluctant to follow through with the hot rodding plans that I had invisioned. Yeah, right! BTW any feedback on the bursch exhaust - TT

I had some jackstands welded (using my old Harley frame stands with wheels) and finally got a good look under my new 911.

I am concerned about the original undercoating that has been disturbed by the previous shops lift point contacts. The areas of the undercoating that accepted the lift points, kinda flakes off, the rest is more difficult to remove, then it goes to rock hard under the remaining areas.

The oxposed metal is nice and dark grey with mottled orange spots. Only an early showing of the "ENEMY" . I want to now remove all but know better. What is a good material to apply to the now exposed areas? I need help from the forum.

Help me cover the clean spots!

Re: undercoating and the enemy

Originally posted by snowbound
    BTW any feedback on the bursch exhaust
    Yeah, sell it and get a stock muffler and modify it like this
    What is a good material to apply to the now exposed areas?
    POR-15 is the best rust-preventative coating I have ever found.
    Good luck with the new car,
    TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Yup.... I second the motion of getting rid of the Bursch.... You can't really beat the original.

muffler mod

Thanks for the input. I'm going to try and modify the stock muffler. I have seen photos of these before, with and without caps.

My buddy that is doing the welding on this little project is negotiating his fee (beer).

How do you open the muffler to get at the divider and bulkhead for their penitrations? Do you open along the seam or cut an access at the bottom?

The tail pipes should clear the stock rear valence panel, right?

I think I better get a spare muffler just in case. Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399