Thread: Price check: 2.0 s mfi heads

Price check: 2.0 s mfi heads

Wasn't planning on selling these, but someone asked me if I would be willing to part with them. These heads were taken off my motor (69S) in the early 80's at 75K miles. I took them to Competition Engineering in Pasadena (Ray Litz). When I went to buy new pistons, I was faced with the opportunity of 2.0 or 2.2 S Mahle pistons for the same price ($600). I decided to go with the 2.2 pistons (unfortunately no one told me I would be way down on compression) and I had the heads cut for 2.2 cylinders. So, all new guides, 6 new ATE 3062 intake valves, 6 new TRW 3061 09 sodium cooled exhaust valves. These heads were installed on the motor, but it was never started, so they only have 75K original miles on them before the valve job, and in perfect condition, no broken fins.
    I am guessing that they would require 2.2 cylinders and some custom high dome 2.0 style pistons, or welded up and machined back to 2.0 specs. I also heard that Henry at Supertech made some adapters that could be used with the 2.0 cylinders.
    Any help at Pricing would be appreciated.
    Bob B
    Name:  Picture 044.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  76.8 KB
    Name:  Picture 043.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  88.9 KB
    Last edited by SIMI BOB; 12-23-2022 at 05:21 PM.

Moved to General Info
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Really need some help here.
    Bob B

Gonna be tough to get a value on these. As you know they are one year heads and don't come up often. Probably 25 or so years ago I advertised in Pano (remember pre internet?) I had sets of new ATE intake and exhaust valves for the 69 S and almost instantly got a call from a vintage racer to buy them as he needed that size for his vintage race car. Point is Bob, that may be your market. Try vintage racing ads.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

What I have found is that any engine parts that have been modified from stock are harder to sell. Crankcases that have had the cylinder bores opened, crankshafts that have turned .25, heads that have been opened,(like yours). As Ed said, one year only. They have value, just have to find the right buyer.

Thanks guys. I'll take that into account.
    Bob B

There is another member here in fla selling a very similar set of heads although they are said to be '70-'71 they have late
    '69 dates and also appear to be cut for 2.2 S cylinder use ..
    The asking for these is $6 k fresh with new valves , springs ,guides and towers included ...Bert

25 years ago I bought many sets of nos 69S Ate valves for $100/ set of 12. The guy I bought them from bought a big box of them for $100 at Hershey before they had the Porsche swap meet. 2.0 heads are not a good match for anything but 2.0 pistons. Price the Supertec adapters and take their price into account. That bevel in the chamber might be a challenge.

The bevel in the chamber will very likely be a problem . I once bought similar heads for a 906 , welding , CNC machining and hundreds of dollars , but worth it for 906 heads . I think 66s' summary
    is very good .