Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's car is this?

Man, that's so cool it 'hurts my eyes' .... What-a bitchin car!!!
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Fanastic cars.....Rs's look great without the ducktail...but was it a delete option.
    I thought that the German cars were delivered with a standard lid, the ducktail version not being 'approved' by the German authorities. Something about danger to pedestrians....

The ducktail equiped lid was with the car and owners could mount it if they so wished.

Maybe that's just an urban myth.....

(Although that's how the spoilers for the BMW 3.0CSL were delivered, flat packed in the boot of the car for the German market).

Either way they look great.

Just checked it was an option on the RS
    The same source (The Original 911 Pter Morgan) says that it was in 74 that the ducktail was banned in Germany...how strange)

I am in shock: I thought that a "regular" RS looks good, but without the tail and without the side decals and painted wheels these cars look simply stunning - like and S on steroids

Only 33 without ducktail - I better start looking for mine ...

Now would there be a drastic difference in the car's handling with or without spoiler? I have read there is not but am curious to what others think and have experienced.

Germany banned the ducktail in 74 - the reasoning was that the sharp edges might hurt pedestrians in case of an accident, hence Porsche went to the whale thing with the huge rubber around it (Not sure if this will hurt any less).

Mike
    Mike Baum #505

57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint
    60 Citroën ID
    61 Lancia Appia Vignale Convertibile
    64 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI
    66 Lancia Flavia Sport Zagato
    69 911S Targa (Soft Window)
    72 Alfa Romeo Junior Zagato 1600

Originally posted by Mike Baum
    Now would there be a drastic difference in the car's handling with or without spoiler? I have read there is not but am curious to what others think and have experienced.
    Mike
    Speaking as someone who have driven his car both ways … I will say a different YES and NO

NO - up until about 80 mph+ ... then a very BIG YES after that… Combined with the stock S front spoiler, the duck tail cuts A LOT OF rear end lift by over 70% … the effect is that it settles and sets the FRONT end of the car at high speeds considerably. The car is MUCH more relaxed at high speed………..

However, every once in awhile I'll look at my stock deck lid and think... maybe I should put it back on for awhile.
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Looks like India Red to me
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Doug Roberts
    68 912 Slate Gray
    64 356C Ivory

Talking I agree

Chuck,

You hit it right on the mark! My car is one hell of alot more stable at high speeds with the duck tail fitted.
    Although you and I both know it is SO very seldom we go over 70mph.

All the best!

Roger
    R Gruppe #27
    73 RS-T
    70 2.4MFI VW Bus

Jens,

Do you have any more pictures of that car? I love the look. It is very RS without looking like the RS that is tattood to our brains! NO tail, No graphics, sits high, black wheels... Very cool.
    Anybody have a red T I can stick my RS engine in?

Best,

Don

Hey Don:

I may have some more photos, but I'll have to dig for them (my photo files are huge).

You know, I may have just the car to put that motor in...I'll send you my shipping address!

Jens

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Glad to know I'm not delusional on the higher speed wiggle.

I was begining to wonder.

I have been 'advised' by those who are more experienced that it shouldn't be as noticeable if the car is correctly aligned and th front end is taken down a little from the 'stock' position.

Beautiful car Doug!
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.