Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Outside mirror options

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Originally posted by Zeke
    Who sells Talbots?
    www.talbotco.com ( or cibieusa.com )

Originally posted by CurtEgerer
    My concern is whether the Talbot base will cover the same area as the Durant base. I don't want any 'indentations' in the paint from the original mirror exposed. -- Curt
    there is a major differance in the base size and the way a Talbot mounts, they will not cover the mounting area of a durant mirror.
    Sam

Self anointed Head of the SSSP
    ( Super secret seat police )
    our motto is : if you've got a bug up your ass, we put it there

67S polo red 307958S (gone but not forgotten )
    87 factory turbolook Lagoon green metallic ( G50 O'yeah )

More Power to YA

Not everything that was designed to be put on cars is supposed to be functional. Lot's of things are for show...it looks Kool. So it sells. Some things are just to make do, with whether it works or not as a secondary consideration.

So if ya wana stay stock pick the poison that works best for you.
    Master of the Buffet

Voice of Reasoned Conservatism

Originally posted by CurtEgerer
    Zeke, I vote Talbot. They are pricey, but one option you might consider is looking for some Shelby Mustang/Cobra mirrors from the 60/70's. They used Talbots (or Talbot look-a-likes??). Here's one source that sells repro's for fairly cheap:

http://www.cobranda.com/categoryget....D=372&DeptID=5

Also, my original 71 Durant has a small stone ding and I'm considering replacing it. Are you saying the repro's available are poor quality??? If so, I may also go to a Talbot style. My concern is whether the Talbot base will cover the same area as the Durant base. I don't want any 'indentations' in the paint from the original mirror exposed. -- Curt
    Yes, I saw Branda's mirrors. I can't put a mirror that was primarily a Shelby thing on my car. Doesn't work for me.

On the Durants: I purchased a pair from xxxxxxxxxxe xxxxxxxs and they were shipped turned 180 degrees from the way you would use them. the catalouge says the mirrors fit either side. I swiveled them around and they were too tight to adjust, so I looked in the base and tried the Allen bolt to loosen them up. It just spun. So, I took the glass out (I sure hope the seller doesn't read this) and found the nut on the inside of the mirror housing. I disasssembled the whole mirror and found a bowl shaped washer that the bolt goes thru and is the inside member of the supposed swivel mechanism. Well, the cheap washer had a big groove in it from turning the mirror around the right way. I tried to polish the thing and reassemble the mirror, swivel and base. Didn't work very well yet.

With all the trying to free the thing up for smooth adjustment movement, I noticed that the weld on the mirror housing stem had started to fracture. This whole thing is very thin guage stainless steel. I'm thinking what the hell am I doing having to rebuild a brand new part?

I called the catalogue cust service and they pulled another of the shelf. They said it was very stiff. I said send me a call tag, I don't want these. Also, the mirror won't adjust so that you can see behind you on tha pass side even with the bolt all the way loosened. The mirror housing hits the base before it will turn enough to see back. They never did work on the pass side in that particular design, I can tell you that. So, that part of the product description in the catalogue is a lie.

Curt, you take that to mean anything you want it to . I take it that either the catalogue has inventory that was purchased cheap because of a bad batch, hence, buy 2, save $31. Or, the Durant is a POS to begin with. It did say made in Germany, but I've never seen a German product made this poorly. I'm all done with this type of mirror.

Strict correctness is not important to me. So I went looking for a compromise between an appropriate period look and the safety concerns that come with operating the car on multi-lane roadways and race tracks.

You need functioning mirrors.

Mine are the 74-75 chrome models. Rectangular, but slightly larger than the 72-3 ones, so you can actually see what's behind you.

Originally posted by Zeke
    the whole mirror and found a bowl shaped washer that the bolt goes thru and is the inside member of the supposed swivel mechanism. Well, the cheap washer had a big groove in it from turning the mirror around the right way. I tried to polish the thing and reassemble the mirror, swivel and base. Didn't work very well yet.
    Hi Zeke,

My Durant mirror is sorta loose. I adjust it and it holds in position when I'm driving in the city but on the highway, I guess the wind blows it down a bit.

Can they be adjusted for tightness? Is there a bolt of sorts? On the glass side or stalk side? I would think it's on the stalk side but I hesitate from removing it just yet coz the paint is pretty nice on the car and yes, I have no balls! Haha...

Sprint.

Give the Talbots a try. There are several different versions and some neat finishes. My favorite is the aluminum. Comes as a spun aluminum finish, but I took some fine scotchbright to them and then polished them up. *That* gives it a real good period look.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Jens, I special ordered a polished alum one. Thanks

Sprint, you have to remove the glass by slipping the plastic ring out. That way you can get it adjusted where you want it and cinch it down. The Allen bolt goes thu to a nut which is behing the glass. Not the way I would desgn a mirror. I guess you can put the glass in for adustment and hold it a moment with tape. Frankly, I don't think I want anything that is that much trouble. Who knows, maybe the originals work fine. I didn't have the luxury of having the originals.

Mirrors

In Peter Morgans book it is mentioned that in some countries the Durant mirrors were not allowed due to government regulations and that the 911's were delivered in those countries with the small rectangular mirror that is also delivered from 1972 onwards.

So it is original to equip a 1971 Porsche with the rectangular mirror, at least the left mirror is original. We will mount a right side mirror as well because the Durant mirrors are useless in the traffic in The Netherlands.

Kind regards,

Sander

Great info. I'm seeing (no pun) the Talbot convex mirror as the answer.