Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Model years & difference in handling?

Re: Re: Model years & difference in handling?

Originally posted by NeunElf

Just about any Porsche has some frightfully expensive parts, and probably some bargain parts, too. On the short wheelbase cars, for instance, there are two front suspension bushings that cost $250 each. On the other hand, the other bushings are much easier and cheaper to change than the long wheelbase cars'.
    Can you tell me more about the bushings? I'm keep to get bigger brakes for my '67S. Time for brakework anyway, so might as well spend the money on bigger items!

Are the early fronts different from the late ones? I think the year is 1969 when they began the change? Will it bolt on?

Sprint.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar

Re: Re: Re: Model years & difference in handling?

Originally posted by SprintStar
    Can you tell me more about the bushings? I'm keep to get bigger brakes for my '67S. Time for brakework anyway, so might as well spend the money on bigger items!

Are the early fronts different from the late ones? I think the year is 1969 when they began the change? Will it bolt on?

Sprint.
    As I recall, all the bushings are different on the short wheelbase and long wheelbase cars.

The bad news is that there doesn't seem to be much selection for the short wheelbase cars. You can get factory rubber bushings, or factory rubber bushings.

The good news is that the bushings are easy to change. On the long wheelbase cars the bushings are vulcanized to the front lower A-arm, and I think in the rear to the semi-trailing link. You have to buy new suspension arms or cut the old bushings off. On a short wheelbase car there's no such problem: the bushings pull off. Aside from those two $ 250 front bushings, the prices are reasonable.

The front lower A-arms on a short wheelbase car differ in several ways from the later A-arm.

Val,
    Yes the 3.4 was er..... "legal." It was a car that was built by the authorized RUF dealer in Illinois in the 80s. Started out as a very nice street car with all the RUF appointments, suspension, exhaust, body parts, wheels, motor and chip enhancements. The Ps & Cs were Andial pieces.

I kept inching it closer and closer to being a track car until I finally realized that I was ruining a wonderful daily driver. It was no fun to drive on the street every day, and uncompetitive on the track... so I put it back the way I got it and sold it in order to build a dedicated track car.

Jol

Re: Re: Re: Model years & difference in handling?

Tom, I like the feel of my SWB '67S on track. But I'd like to know what situations do they excel in? Thanks.
    As some others mentioned in this thread, the SWB cars excel on the shorter, tighter tracks. Their ability to rotate easily (inherent oversteer handling balance) in slow corners and their narrow width give them an advantage in sharp corners and slaloms. Unfortunately, their lower HP and lack of spoilers make them less effective on bigger tracks and at higher speeds.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

As to your other point about wide tires meaning better handling. There's something to that theory, but don't forget that the older 911s are much lighter than the newer ones: they don't need as much rubber. Many Porsche experts describe the early long-wheelbase cars as the "best balanced" of all 911s. They also recommend against putting wider tires on the rear wheels of these cars.
    Which experts recommend this? I can understand it on the stock SWB cars and even possibly the lower-powered LWB cars (until the 2.4 with the 915 tranny in '72, which added more weight to the rear). From that point on, I think any 911 can benefit in handling from a larger rear wheel and tire, especially if it has been modified for more power. The factory even introduced such a stagger with the '73RS, no?

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Read my surf novel!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Model years & difference in handling?

As I recall, all the bushings are different on the short wheelbase and long wheelbase cars.

The bad news is that there doesn't seem to be much selection for the short wheelbase cars. You can get factory rubber bushings, or factory rubber bushings.

The good news is that the bushings are easy to change. On the long wheelbase cars the bushings are vulcanized to the front lower A-arm, and I think in the rear to the semi-trailing link. You have to buy new suspension arms or cut the old bushings off. On a short wheelbase car there's no such problem: the bushings pull off. Aside from those two $ 250 front bushings, the prices are reasonable.

The front lower A-arms on a short wheelbase car differ in several ways from the later A-arm.
    Thanks for the info!!!

Sprint.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Model years & difference in handling?

Originally posted by ttweed
    As some others mentioned in this thread, the SWB cars excel on the shorter, tighter tracks. Their ability to rotate easily (inherent oversteer handling balance) in slow corners and their narrow width give them an advantage in sharp corners and slaloms. Unfortunately, their lower HP and lack of spoilers make them less effective on bigger tracks and at higher speeds.

TT
    Thanks Tom!

Have a nice weekend ahead!

Sprint.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Model years & difference in handling?

Have a nice weekend ahead!
    I will- I'm instructing all weekend at the PCA-SDR Performance Driving School. Can you say OPT (Other People's Tires)?

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Read my surf novel!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Model years & difference in handling?

Originally posted by ttweed
    I will- I'm instructing all weekend at the PCA-SDR Performance Driving School. Can you say OPT (Other People's Tires)?

TT
    Ho ho ho!!!! That sounds fun! I'm waiting for my new brakes to arrive and than out to clock more track time!!!!!

My car now pulls to the right when braking.

Sprint.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Originally posted by Val
    NeunElf said;

"You might actually be able to pull more lateral Gs in a 1989 Turbo, but that doesn't mean the handling is better than, say, a 1973 911S."

Wow, who'd a thunk it? That really leans me in the direction of an older 911!

Thanks, Val
    I have to admit that "good handling" may be in the eye of the beholder. For Ralph Nader, it's obviously the more understeer, the better. For some with more money than brains (and who call the car a "Porsh") it might be a G number in a magazine that they can't possibly replicate.

If you want a car that's light, responsive, nimble, and still predictable, the early long-wheelbase cars are supposed to be among the best.

Of course, I've never driven one--I have a short-wheelbase car. It's wonderful as long as you can keep your foot hard on the throttle.