Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delayed Delivery

Harry and Larry (hey, I like that )

Restorations are more art than science and always an adventure. Larry's contract structure is a good one (better leveraged than mine, but seem reasonable given the distance issue), and the PPI is a must. Plus, you check references, this board, look at the guy's results (other folks cars), etc... There's always a risk in this game and you pay to play. Plus, if he screws it up, his name will get plastered here, on Pelican and anywhere else you'd like to share your experience. Its the wonder thing about the web, and BBS's like this one. The PCar world is a small one and reputations are worth a lot.

Hang in there Larry. I'd just roll with the timeframe in favor of a job done right.
    Chris Purpura @civilizedmisfit
    Member #479
    Current Cars:
    1972 911T aka The "Civilized Misfit" Build
    See: https://www.excellence-mag.com/issue...vilized-misfit
    Miss February - EarlySRegistry 2023 Calendar
    1968 911S Ossi Blau/Beige Corduroy

Past Cars:
    2019 911 Carrera GTS (sold, no regrets)
    73S - #1100 (restored and now somewhere in Europe)
    1997 993 Carrera 4S Black on Black (sold)

Harry and Chris, thanks for the words of encouragement. I am truly not worried. I feel that I am a good judge of character and situation. It has served me pretty well in business and personal things too. I spoke to Mike (my wrench) many times before we finally signed a contract. He gave me really good advice on features, upgrades, and frivolities that I have confirmed on this board and Pelican. I would rather deal with an individual that I trust than a large company that will give me the runaround.

And, on top of that, he returns my phone calls. To be honest, because of the distance, I am a bit of a pest. I do talk to him every week, and sometimes multiple times. The only time he gives me short shrift is when he was in the middle of a golf course, or out on a boat fishing.

I am just anxious to get the car, just as we all are. But soon, very soon, the dream will become a reality. I look forward to the opportunity to show off my dream machine to you all. First in pictures, then maybe in person.

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Lower 'em

'roun' these parts we use the Stowe Standard, that's 24 1/4" to the fender lip at all corners. But then again, we have really good roads in Vermont...during the summer anyway.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

EDIT: I cofused Larry's project with another boardmember's, and posted a cautionary message that -- I learned -- didn't have anything to do with Larry or his project. The guy doing the work on Larry's car is someone altogether different than who I was thinking about.

I apologize for the mistake, both to Larry and his restorer.

Shucks, I took my car to my guy in July and got it back two weeks ago! This was for a minor dent and spoiler/hood touch up. Yep, his middle name is *s l o w* . But I'm pleased with the results and am no worse for the experience.
    And fwiw I let him do this to me 2 years ago on another project. All summer and got it back just before Christmas. Then I sold the damned thing 4 weeks later because.........? I have no idea why.
    Well, I guess the money was good!

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Originally posted by JackOlsen
    Actually, you know quite a lot about him, but have decided to take a chance anyway.
    Jack: Sent you a PM.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Again, I confused this project with another one. My comments on the guy doing the restoration work on Larry's car were 180 degrees wrong, and I've removed them.

Sorry.

Feeling Better

Jack, Harry and the rest:

I am feeling confident that I will get what I am expecting. I look forward to regaling you with pictures of the progress. But probably not till after the first of the year.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC