Thread: Toolkits and Manuals?

Toolkits and Manuals?

I was just wondering, since I have nothing else to do now except wait for the spring, the delivery of my car and think of other silly questions to ask . . . . .

Do many of you have toolkits in your cars? I bought one on ebay that is nearly complete, and think I should be pleased, but I really don't know how many early 911 owners get them or want them. The same question stands for owners manuals. My wrench has a manual for me for my radio, a Blaupunkt Frankfort.

Besides the toolkit, owners manual, radio manual, jack and spare tire, are there other things that were delivered with the car that people collect to make their car more "complete?"

Just Curious

larry
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

My car came with all of those items but the spare was full size and made a "hump" in the trunk. I bought a spacesaver and compressor to get a bit more trunk space. Also, while I do have a factory toolkit, I also picked up an inexpensive kit (sockets, hex wrenches, open end wrenches, screwdrivers etc) from Schucks for about $20.0 to supplement the factory tool kit. As an added surprise, I found out that the nut on my alternator was 24 mm but my factory kit had a 22 mm wrench. A trip to Wal Mart yielded a 24 mm combination wrench for $6.00. Lastly, I carry my jack plate as well so that if a garage wants to lift my car, they can use thier floor jack and the factory locations.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Modern Kit

Harry:

Thanks, I expect that I will buy "modern" tools to use on the car. Obviously a kit that cost $400 is only for "cosmetics," and I will need some portable tools to work on the car if need be.

As long as you mention the jack plate, I have seen a couple of different styles for sale on Ebay, a gray circular one with a cupped plate, and the other yellow square one. Any clues as to which is "better" or are they each comparable?

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Re: Modern Kit

Originally posted by larry47us
    Harry:

Thanks, I expect that I will buy "modern" tools to use on the car. Obviously a kit that cost $400 is only for "cosmetics," and I will need some portable tools to work on the car if need be.

As long as you mention the jack plate, I have seen a couple of different styles for sale on Ebay, a gray circular one with a cupped plate, and the other yellow square one. Any clues as to which is "better" or are they each comparable?

larry
    I am not familiar with the grey one. Mine is the yellow square one from David Slack (slack930). Here is one of his ads --> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2449070016
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Thanks, I have seen his ads. Here is the other one that I mentioned.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2449019885

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

I'll toss in two cents here. IMHO, the factory jack is a death trap...I keep mine for show, but should I ever need to change a flat, I carry a NPA scissors jack, use it to lift the jack plate. Of course this is for changing tires only. NEVER place your body under a car unless it it supported by jackstands..
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

do you all prefer to use the jacking plates (as on the above ebay ads) rather than jacking as shown in 101 projects?

I'm curious, as coming from VW's, we never jack the cars using the jacking points in case we damage them or unseen rust has weakend them
    1973 2.4S
    1993 964 C2
    987 Boxster Spyder

'hot66'
    www.ddk-online.com

Originally posted by pwd72s
    NEVER place your body under a car unless it it supported by jackstands..
    pwd, I appreciate the note on the "supplied jack".

But yes, I agree fully, never never ever go under a car that is just supported by a car jack. Very dangerous. But I have the same question that was posted by James. Do you use a jackplate instead of jackin up the car using the jacking points? Is that the best way to raise up the sides of the car?

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

I've used the jackplate to jack up the side...with both my garage floor jack, and the scissors jack as a test. The funny thing? I've never suffered a flat in the Porsche...so haven't had to use a jack while on the road. That said, the factory jack is renowned for letting the car slip. Usually when I want to pull a wheel at home, it's all four wheels I want to pull...so the jackstands & floor jack come out, and I raise the car as described in Wayne's book.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I try to avoid using the jackpoints on the car, and instead use the points in the 101 book. They are safer, and less likely to do damage.
    http://www.classicvelocity.com
    70 911T Targa
    70 911E
    73 914

If you go flying back through time and you see somebody else flying forward into the future, it's probably best to avoid eye contact....