Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SSI's ?

David,
    so a SSI exhaust doesnt quite work on a 70s with MFI?
    I have always thought that whennit was time to replace my exhaust i would go with SSI but now i am not sure if it would work.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar

Re: Stainless, but not SSI

Originally posted by larry47us
    Now that I understand the subject matter, I have been able to ask specific questions to my wrench about how my car is set up. I do have stainless heater boxes (exchanges) and that includes the exhaust manifold (or header) since this is all one unit.

But the unit that I have on my 73E is not made by SSI. He isn't sure of the manufacture, but says that it is different than the SSI in that it has a "pre-heater" for cold air that allows the car to run better when it is cold outside, because the intake air is warmed by the heat of the manifold. He said that it is similar to the cold air flapper box on the early cars, and thinks that it is more period correct than the SSI units.
    larry
    The last I checked the SSI Website, I thought I saw that they now offer headers for carbureted cars (no pre-heater) and headers for MFI cars (with pre-heater). As Far As I Know, SSI originally offered only the carburetor version.

You might still have SSIs--check http://www.StainlessSystemsInc.com

Oops. I just tried their website. Maybe their server is down, maybe SSI just went bankrupt. I don't know. I took a look at Performance Products website and they offer SSI headers for Carbureted cars and for MFI cars (the same on the right side--different left side headers for MFI and carbs). They cost $439.50 each.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Originally posted by charlestonius
    I have a set of SSI with a stainless steel dual in single out muffler. Since I am restoring my 1971 911S I don't think the concours judges are going to like these. Plus the SSIs have no provision for the cold start for the MFI. Bottom line is I would like to sell the whole setup for 850.00.

Thanks
    David
    My 1965 Porsche 911 has SSIs and a Jet Hot ceramic coated (silver colored) muffler. Concours judges don't seem to mind.

Re: Re: Stainless, but not SSI

Originally posted by NeunElf
    As Far As I Know, SSI originally offered only the carburetor version.
    Thanks, kinda get lost with some of this acronym-ineous stuff.

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Stainless Systems Inc.

SSI makes thin and thick mounting flanges for early cars, or later SC's and 3.2 Carrera.
    Also, the thin flange for early cars are available with, or without the pre-heat for MFI.

Originally posted by scargo70
    David,
    so a SSI exhaust doesnt quite work on a 70s with MFI?
    I have always thought that whennit was time to replace my exhaust i would go with SSI but now i am not sure if it would work.
    You will find the SSI's work very well with the MFI. They do have the provision for the warm air hose to the thermostat. They just don't have the provision for the big warm air intake to the mechanism that runs to the air cleaner which everyone removes because is is a POS!
    Kurt V
    '86 Carrera
    Formerly '72E
    GruppeB #000

Originally posted by Kurt V
    You will find the SSI's work very well with the MFI. They do have the provision for the warm air hose to the thermostat. They just don't have the provision for the big warm air intake to the mechanism that runs to the air cleaner which everyone removes because is is a POS!
    Kurt, I respectfully disagree. I'm still running factory exchangers, with that hose intact. Not everybody lives in SouCal...and up here, it's an aid when running/starting up in cold weather. If your intake is functioning properly, it's heat is cut off when running warm. So, not "everybody" has removed it...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I think POS is a bit strong and predict that the parts that have been deep sixed over the years will one day be in great demand for "pure" restorations. Paul has one of the nicest cars and correct engine bays you will ever likely see.

It is my understanding (and I've heard many tales about this subject) is that there was a factory notice about these and something along the lines of a "removal of the unit" bulletin. Please don't hold me accountable for this tale because as far as I can tell it may be pure fiction and I don't surely don't want to anyone to believe what I say without the real facts on the subject. If someone like Roger Grago wants to chime in it would be appreciated. I do think something was in the air so to speak because you just don't see these anymore and cars like Paul’s beauty are an anomaly.

What I do know is what John Daniels at SSI told me in his own words. Apparently Chuck Stoddard directed him NOT to include that extra mini-heater box assembly when he was designing his heat exchangers way back when.
    Chuck Stoddard was NOT a fan of the setup and had his reasons according to John. When the SSI's came out none of the left hand MFI exchangers have ever had any way to run warm up heat to the flapper/snorkel box attached to the air cleaner.

I have an OEM NOS original left hand exchanger and a very nice original right side one as well. They are stored with my flapper and other associated parts for it. I do not run it because I choose to use the SSI products, as they have always been a superior piece imho. They are capable of more hp, as they are a better header design than the originals.

The original MFI boxes are going to be gone one day and there won't be any more to be had unless Porsche follows BMW's lead and comes out with their own version of Mobile Tradition. Don't hold your breath because Porsche are not looking back anymore; they are just trying to survive (My bets are that VW is going to eat them one day; it's just a matter of time).

When the day comes to put the car at 100% I'll whip the originals out and in a half a day have it back just like it left the factory.

One other thing I've noted is that the '72-'73 rear tin that I have found has in at least 2 cases had what appeared to be a well thought out cap for the hole where the aluminum flex pipe for warm up heat would normally flow. I don't know if this was a factory part or something from the "shade tree" mechanic but they were definitely there and none were "jack-leg" rigs by any means.

FWIW,

Tom

PS: if you decide to throw yours away send them to me. I'm starting a collection.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Are they out of business? The link listed earlier in the thread appears to be dead.

They're still in business..

But I think we should also clarify that the "pre-heater-flapper-box" unit that fed from the left exchanger to the air cleaner housing was only found on the 72-73 MFI cars (also on all of the later Euro 2.7 RS MFI engines up till 76 I believe). These cars also had the warm air supply from the left exchanger to the MFI pump thermostat.

The 69-71 MFI cars only had the warm air hose from the left exchanger to the MFI pump thermostat. No "pre-heater-flapper-box" to the air cleaner, as an example my 71S motor:

Can't seem to find any pictures of the 72-73 MFI "pre-heater-flapper-box" thingies since it sems most have removed them
    Doug Roberts
    68 912 Slate Gray
    64 356C Ivory