Thread: Uncle Zak's

I agree with Zeke about Rick.
    Jack
    1972 911S- viper green
    1970 914/6- tangerine
    1967 Ferrari 330GTC- oro chiaro

Thanks Guys!!

I am greatfull for the kind words!
    Can't understand why everyone can't be straight up. The most important part of anyone's business liveihood is reputation.
    If I sold something that the buyer felt was misrepresented, I would simply return their money, end of story.
    Don't know this uncle zac, but he has beat me to the draw on many a classified parts for sale. He's gatta be on the computer all day.
    As far as the 911 engine rebuilding world, we have all heard the horror stories.
    I feel the 911 engine is one of the most incredible pieces of engineering work I have every seen. They have had there problems over the years, but what hasn't. No radiator, water hoses, water pump,(at least until the 996).
    The main thing that taints a 911 engine is lack of maintenance, or if there has been a unqualified tech under the hood.
    We hear from time to time about the guy with 300-400 thousand miles on their 911 with no rebuild. There is a guy who takes care of his car.
    Well, my S soft window is not going to get done while I sit here typing so gatta go for now.
    See ya

Oh Zeke.... I have a Sales and Sevice shop for European cars that I run from 8 to 5. Then from 6 to 11 each night, and the weekends, I restore early 911's.
    28 years and still tickin!

I've bought some parts from Zak that were as advertised and I was very pleased. I never got the impression that he would knowingly deceive anyone. Quite the contrary. That being said, however, he might not be the most knowledgeable source on all things Porsche.

If I was going to shell out money for a rebuild I would make sure and get it done by a reputable shop with an excellent track record.
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

Originally posted by fuegos100

Bob, have you ever used ed woo in SF? he helped me out on that zak car. also luis at born2bfast really helped me on the goofy suspension and body work.

paul schuster
    Yikes! Born2bfast fixing others mistakes- thats turning the tables . Ed Woo's a nice guy, but I questioned enough of his work to make me want to take the car back to him. Nothing bad, its just I'd worry less if i did the work myself.

born2bfast (luis) fixed all the suspension issues. the car I bought had a recent front pan replacement (between the battry boxes) but you could grab the fron control arms and pull then fwd/back while the car was in the air. LOTS of play. car drove like a broken truck. we found the bolts holding the fwd points of the A arms were not in all the way b/c ase bolts were used. and when luis looked at the front pan, he found it had not been welded in place, but it was set in place w/ adhesive.

and the car supposedly had a fresh coat of paint (glasurit) but that stuff was leaping off the car. luis touched up the paint and repainted one door (my fault) and the extra paint supplied w. the car didn't work. had to be stripped and painted a 2nd time.

now, ed woo had to replace the oil cooler b/c the one zak used was crushed and prolly less than 50% flow. also the fuel pump was hangin loose and didn't even have a clamp on one side..... and ed also fixed a profuse oil leak that caused the car to appear as to be on fire! really a mosquito smoker like I'd seen back in louisiana... oh the list goes on and on. yes, wayne (really luis) did help me out on that car.

live and learn

in all fairness...

uncle zak did knock a little off the price of that car I bought from him. and when I had many problems on a car that I didn't even consider a driver, he did refund some to help w/ fixing the things that should not have needed to be fixed (oil cooler, fuel pump, front pan etc)

he did seem like "a nice guy".

and he did pledge to refund more when we threatened w/ legal actions. and I did offer to consider it a done deal and let the balance go if he'd honor the "warranty" on that engine for the next owner since I sold the car within 3 months.

and it may seem that I'm now bad mouthing him....

all I should really say is that if you live in PA and you are buying an engine from him b/c it's cheap adn comes w/ a warranty.... consider the cost of having to use that warranty.

before I bought my car from him I did contact previous customers who bought cars and most did seem happy. so maybe my case was the exception....

I'm done w/ this thread. it just stirred up a bucket of bad memories for me. I don't want to wreck the guys business. just make sure you ask all the right questions and have hte correct expectations.

paul schuster