Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 65-67 911

"The swb cars have an undeserved bad reputation and that keeps their prices lower than the lwb cars. Good for us that love 'em."

yeah why is that? some of my favorite cars are the beauties owned by shawn, eric linden, gary schultz, bob deifenbach (sp). something beautiful about a non flared car.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

SWB's Bad Reputation?

Since when? I have a 67 911 and 73 911, and I would sell my 73 before I'd let go of the 67, despite the fewer creature comforts of the 67 911. Besides, with a SWB you don't have to replace door map pockets for $450 a pop!

Bob, some of my favorite cars and quotes...

"The Porsche 911 makes bad photographers look good and bad drivers look worse." From a wise pelican poster.

"...it would appear that the twenty footer has been replaced with the jpeg'er." From Jared (JCR)

The first quote refers to the fear of the 57mm or 2.2" shorter wheel base that is supposed to be unmanageble.

The second quote refers to...partner, you just put my car in with some heavy company. Those owners you listed are the most knowledgeable early p car owners with the hottest swb cars on the west coast, you and your car included.

Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

Ahhh the ever popular search for a 60's less 68 Porsche 911 plus 70-73...

*sigh*

And even more so.... the search for mostly original lack of someone tried to convert it to look like... slant nose, 9somethingelsebesideseleven and any other mods variety with 80's parts mixed with 70's parts with some custom parts all jammed into a 60's frame...

and then there's the chopped every piece of metal out to try to make it lighter and welded in a big ole roll bar...

My tastes require the purchase of a 2 door coupe model... no offense to those who have them... but I dont find Targa's visually appealing... and I think some of the convertible models are very pretty and desirable... but I just feel that it is a vandal w/ knife magnet.... cuz in my opinion there's the batch of hoodlums who are mean enough to shoot your porsche with paintballs and beat it with a tire iron etc... and then there's the more likely kind who whip out the pocket knife and shred your convertible top kind...why?.... because you have one and they drive a "real" car... like a Mustang... or a big Pickup with wheels almost as big as they are... (I didnt say it had to make any sense...)

I've also noticed lately at most of the auction and private listings that at least 2 out of 3 listings in the past 2 months have been Targa models....

and...

my other favorite quote; "911 coupes look best from the outside... and targa's look best from the inside."

Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

Originally posted by lbritish
    someone tried to convert it to look like... slant nose, 9somethingelsebesideseleven and any other mods variety with 80's parts mixed with 70's parts with some custom parts all jammed into a 60's frame...
    Like this poor, molested specimen? Think what it would be worth if it was original and well preserved. Right now, it can't meet a $6701 reserve on EvilBay.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

http://www.cars-on-line.com/67porsche5766.html

Check this one out. A lot of red, but looks good.
    Jeff
    80 ROW coupe

If you get a 68 then you might have some more money to pour into the goodies. And they aren't any worse performance to than the early non-S of other years.
    68' 911
    81' 280zx turbo (for sale)$4500 obo
    96' Honda Prelude
    03' Nissan Altima

I could go on for days about the interesting features of the SWB early 911's from a design standpoint: 356-style chrome bezel on the guages, interior details, chrome plated brass window trim, front quarter window vents, the funny assymetrical interior door handles with the push buttons, round headrests with chrome arms, green lettering on the instruments, the individually assembled engine lid trim, and all of the different mechanical parts which changed after '67. But the best part of course is the sound of a 2-liter with sport pipes: a loud and biting sound.

I've been fortunate enough to ride in a few members later cars (Roger's RS 2.7 is one that rides amazingly well at high speeds in it's owners' skilled hand), and I had a chance to drive a '72 911S with a 3.2 once which was frighteningly quick.

--gary
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Gary

Also, don't forget the vintage racing/touring possibilities. A lot of events are for cars from the mid 60's and earlier, such as the Carrera Panamericana. Speaking of, a couple local guys ran it this year in a '68 (mechanically similar to a '66, which was the cutoff year I believe).

Bro Gary, how about some more pictures from Cambria, that was an awesome lineup.
    David Schultz
    1973 911T 2.7
    R Gruppe #228
    Www.davidschultz-id.com
    www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/turbo_dave