Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car alarm for you Early 911???

Car alarm for you Early 911???

Hi,

I am in the process of restoring my '73S targa. Should I tear out the alarm in my trunk or leave it in? It's not a great install and I am not sure how effective it really is, plus it isn't exactly eye pleasing either.

How do you guys protect your early 911s? My car is already garaged, but when I park it somewhere, is some protection better than none?
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

Neil,

I never had an alarm... but lots of early 911 friends had… that is HAD!!!

To them it was always a royal pain in the ass … or worse, if the alarm had a malfunctioning electric 'kill' option...

Also, back in the Clifford type alarm hay-days lots of installers were cutting into Porsche wiring looms when they had no idea what the hell they were doing… Lots of horror stories

I would take it all out as carefully as possible, tape up all cut wires, and say good riddance…

As to security… Lots of people on this board won't leave their cars out of eye sight…

However, unless your car is on a 'shopping list' auto theft is usually a crime of convince… in other words the more 'stuff' they have to deal with, the less likely the target.

A flashing red LED helps, a big red CLUB helps... even though the CLUB can be dealt with in less then a minute - it's just one more thing in they're way.

I try to keep my car in sight or ear shot … no kidding

I use a CLUB for the 'visual' and a fuel pump shut-off switch for a little more piece of mind…

Mind you, if they want your car they will pull it on a flatbed and take it away…

I'll be interested to hear what others say about this...

"Paranoia strikes deep in the heartland"
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    Car alarms are a HUGE waste of money. Peope will call the police to complain about the noise from an alarm wailing before they'd worry someone is actually stealing the car in question. In fact, a recent study in NY found that car alarms in no way deter thieves.

If you're really worried about someone stealing your car, put in a kill switch.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    And not to burst any of our egos but an early 911 is WAAAY down on the list of cars thieves want. An Escalade? Oh yeah. An Audi RS6 or Mitsu Evo VIII? Park them in your living room. Most likely, someone will tamper with your early 911 to steal something they see INSIDE the car. Like if you've installed some monster stereo.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

I agree, most car thieves dont really want an early 911.
    Plus if they really want it they will flatbed it in a NYC second....I have a friend whose 996 twin turbo with Lojack was stolen while he was in starbucks getting coffee.
    They flatbeded the car in no time flat..fortunately they found the car later that night in an alleyway. The thieves parked it there to cool off when they noticed the Lojack.
    The moral of the story..if they want your car...they will get your car....sadly that is why we have insurance.

Yeah, there's no beating a flatbed. Sirens are useless.

Thieves park freshly stolen cars to determine if they're lo-jacked. They wait a day, and move them if no one's shown up.

For deterrence, a removeable steering wheel is hard to beat. A kill switch (or pulling the fuel pump relay) will also stop someone from hotwiring it.

But early 911's aren't common theft targets at all. There isn't much of a market for the parts.

This is a timely thread. Not more than a half hour ago I decided to junk my alarm - keep the red flashin LED just for grins, and install a battery kill switch. At least I can leave it knowing it won't be hot wired. To deter flatbeds you can try parallel parking whenever possible. No guarantee, but it should help a bit.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Nonsequitor
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Lucky guys.

Over here the minimum security is an immobiliser to Cat 2 (a government rating). This imobilises the car by making sure the current ot the starter is not sufficient to get it cranking until you have switches it off.
    The intervention needed in the wiring lomm is pretty horific but they do work.

If you have a modern daily P car is then a Cat 1 which is a combined alarm and immobiliser.

These are required to get insurance.........

Early P cars not on the shopping list? Again lucky guys......

Thanks for the advice. I am going to take it out. I just need to find the installation instructions so that I can figure out how to rewire the car so that it will run.

I am going to keep the blinking LED in the car. I'll have to find a way to get it to blink when I turn off the car.

Thanks,
    Neil
    '73 911S targa