Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newest on the 73 VGE

Smile

At the cost of those fenders, I'd have a dog guarding them, too!!!!

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Larry, I'm sure you'll STILL get the inevitable "it sure is loud" and "what's that smell?" comments!

I installed Dynamat inside the rear bulkhead (replacing powdered factory pad). I'm pretty happy with it. Seems to lessen the unwanted sounds more than the GOOD sounds. I'm always driving with the windows and sunroof open, which does let the engine/exhaust sound reach the ears in a satisfying way. I have the factory pad on the engine side. A good "for touring purposes" setup.

I would be concerned that Dynamat on both sides of the bulkhead may be too much of a noise filter, the stuff works pretty well. It's all personal preference though.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Originally posted by Zeke
    You say you'e gonna drive this car when? I know a thing or two about restoring cars and that car is 6-8 months from driving. Unless he has nothing else in the shop and works on it everyday all day. Then, I say 4 months. It will be sweet.
    Zeke:
    No doubt that the date has slipped a bit, but I am more anxious for it to be done right, than to be done "on time." He is a real perfectionist, and I have no doubt that he is working on some other cars here and there to keep the home fires burning.

As long as he gets it done in a "reasonable" amount of time -- translate that to this SUMMER!!! -- I will be happy. I have waited for 30 years to own and drive one of these things, and a few more weeks/months (No, Joe -- say it ain't so ) won't kill me.

Make me sad . . . . . yes, but I appreciate your comment. I am sure it will be sweet. And when it is done, be prepared for a (ahem) number of gratuitous threads of VGE pictures.

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Larry,
    For the great distance between you and your car, and the somewhat strange arrangement you made with this guy to pay half for the car up front and the other half after restoration and delivery, I am duly impressed by the prep work. What kind of primer is he using? Also, is he going to spray with Glasurit paint, reducer and clearcoat? Don't cheap out on the details. You have come too far pilgrim. In fact, this car may be so nice when it's finished that you will wan to find a roughed up 911T as your beater....

Ahhh, what kind of Paint!!

Gruen:

Mike and I had many discussions about the paint early on. I told him that I wanted Glasurit, because that was the Porsche paint. He had never painted with it before, and there was at least one long thread here related to my discussions about it and the advice of this board. The long and short of it was, Let him paint whatever paint he is used to using.

I have deferred to him on the paint. He is using the top grade of DuPont paint, which is the paint that he has always used, and Marc Weintraub said that Mike does the finest paint jobs the he has ever seen.

I am not sure what kind of pimer he is using. but I am sure that it will be the right one for the DuPont finish paint. We did talk about using a 2 stage versus a single stage paint. Yes, two stage gives it a higher final gloss, but it isn't original, and can even look plastic to me. So, based on the advice of the board and Mike, I have decided to go with a single stage paint.

Marc told me that when the car is done, it will look so nice that I will want to have it trucked back, rather than driving it back from CT to Chicago. Welllllll, I will at least keep a good distance between me and the car in front!!!

Here's a picture of a Cabrio conversion that Mike did. This is a single stage paint job. I thnk that it looks prettttty good!!!

But your advice is well taken. I would really like the car tomorrow , but at this stage, there is going to be no rushing it. Mike and I both want it done right.

larry
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Cool looking Abarth type muffler. What manner of beast is that?

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Dynamat is heavy - if you want something lighter, google up Cascade Audio and look at some of their items. From Zeke's comments it sounds like you will have quite a while to do research.

I keep meaning to go out to the airport and talk with the general aviation guys about what they use to dampen sound.

ALso, I dunno if Dynamat is a good thing to use on the engine side of the bulkhead -- it's hot for one thing.

You can search under webb & sound for various threads on the Pelican board to see various comments on sound absorbtion techniques.

Dynamat?

Are six-way power seats next?

Buy a new stock sound pad and call it a day.

Or.....

Buy a new Lexus if you want quiet and great A/C. Neither will be part of your early 911 ownership experience. Your wife will never be happy with the A/C unless you drop a load on the system and that's no guarantee that it will do the job as well as she may expect. A/C on an early 911 was a dumb idea for North America.

Pack up the Targa top and drive it when the weather is good. The car looks better that way as well.

I hope you see it before the Fall but you have got a long way to go from where I sit.

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Hey guys, let's do a bit of hand holding here. Larry's gone through a LOT with this. Me? I'm crossing my fingers. I hope to read a "wow...it was all worth it!" post before too many more moons...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)