Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1969 911 Steering Column Bushing Replacement

Originally posted by sundaypunch
    This is what your bushing / spring should look like-
    Little did you know I was having the same problem.

I just swapped my bus sized stock wheel for a Momo Wheel and when I took the old wheel off, the spring came off and the bush was between the spring and the back of the old wheel! I moved it to the Momo hub so the bush was between the spring and the steering shaft, installed, and my wheel firmed up nicely.

Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Gburner
    I am missing the spring and the bushing.
    Does anyone have a spare set they would be willing to sell me?

In the diagram Nr 6 is the Steering Shaft Bearing, Part Number: 91434771100,am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by sundaypunch View Post
    GBurner, if you have the bushing and still have play I would bet that you don't have the spring installed. The bushing (sleeve) is very thin and doesn't look as if it's meant to fill the gap around the steering shaft. The spring appears to preload things and keep them solid.

The bushing shown in the post above is for later cars. The one in an early car looks like you cut the top 1/4 off the later one pictured above. The bushing & spring are items #6 and #7 in the diagram

I have no play in my wheel. I installed a Momo wheel and noticed that I had a ton of radial play. With the wheel removed the splined shaft moved around all over the place. I then noticed that the spring and bushing were stuck to the back of my stock wheel. I put them on the Momo and the wheel is rock solid now.
    In the diagram Nr 6 is the Steering Shaft Bearing, Part Number: 91434771100,am I right?

Danysony,

Part numbers you are referring to have been revised over the years.
    The early parts book for the cars started with these numbers for the very same parts:
    There are three items below the turn signal cancellation ring (item 27 in the referenced diagram - it's screwed onto the steering wheel).

695.347.711.00 Steering shaft bearing compl.
    This is a "loose balls" bearing it's made from sheet metal outer and inner tubes with rolled over edges that hold the loose ball bearings. With age the grease has turned in paste than rock hard - the little steel ball bearings may fall out when you remove this item. Have a magnet on a stick to retrieve them all.

It appears to be current part number of 914.347.711.00 At $271.00

695.347.725.00 Supporting ring for steering shaft bearing.
    This key item is the short “L” shaped sheet metal circle that is held and pressed into the slight space between the bearing and steering shaft . This is the item everyone has had go look for with a steering wheel change out, This and the spring is grease stuck to the back of your removed wheel and may still be stuck to it.
    It is in the Pelican Parts catalog as :

Stoddard # NLA 347.725.00. $24.95

Note the diagram you posted does not even show the 695.347.725.00 “L” shaped ring. It just shows the bushing and spring. Without the “L” ring the wheel will shimmy and shake and bang around up against the steering shaft.

The spring pushing the ring into the bearing - original part #
    695.347.713.00 Pressure Spring in Steering shaft
    Updated - it looks like 914.347.713.00. $3.50

Pelican has photos of all three of these parts go have a look and pick the items your missing.

Best of luck with your project.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

The $199 bearing is normally quite robust and doesn’t commonly wear out but due to its construction they can seperate and the ball bearings will fall into the column.

I have seen this happen a few times but normally the bearing can be rebuilt and I produed a repair method a while back which I have copied and posted.

The part that is very commonly missing is known as a Stützring Part Number 695.347.725.00 and is available from Porsche. If the Stützring in missing then the associated pressure spring may also be missing and this is Part Number 914.347.713.00

The Stützring is shown below.

If these parts are fitted and there is a problem with the bearing you could try to make a repair as shown below:

I hope this helps.

SWB911, Great post.

if this is the quality of your postings...please due more. Lots more.

Let the folks know where we can get your repair ball bearings and replacement lower bearing.

Thank you.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

VERY informative post SWB911... Cheers and thanks
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter