Thread: Quality of repros (lenses and horn grills)

Quality of repros (lenses and horn grills)

I was wondering about the quality of repro chrome horn grills and turn sig/taillight lenses sold through Pelican and Performance parts. My car has black trimmed lenses and black grills and I want to get the correct chrom pieces on this fall. I have a pair of oem chrome grills that need plated. Are the aftermarket grills good, or should I just restore the oem pieces?
    Also I notice that the Performance Products prices on lenses are much much cheaper than Pelican. Is there any difference in product?
    Thanks for any input,
    Dave
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

anyone?????
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Don't know about the grilles, but Evren bought a pair of repop front turn signal lenses for his car. First they sent two for the left side...that was finally straightened out. They fit well, but the amber color is lighter than original...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Dave,

I saw some repro grilles at Stoddard, and was not at all impressed, The original metal grilles are much better quality. They wanted to replace the pitted metal grilles on TKO's car with the repros... and we both agreed pitted metal looked MUCH better than the repops. From what I have seen, most all trim repro parts are sub par compared to the originals. Then again, I'm a picky SOB (as I know you are).

Definitely restore the OEM. TKO may still need his done, maybe we could get a whole batch of stuff to a chrome-er to spread the cost out.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

the amber turn signals repros are much lighter than the originals. obvious color difference without comparing them side to side. the repro horn grills are poor quality finish and fit terrible.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com