Thread: Autocross setup Help

Autocross setup Help

I was wanting to know if anyone would assist me in setting up my '72 S for Autocrossing. I have ordered Kumho Ecsta V700 heat cycled in 205/50-15 and have 7x15 Wheels to mount them on. My brother and I looked in the Stock Fender wells to check for clearance and it appears there is room. Not looking for secrets, just standard Camber and Tow settings. Any help is much appreciated. Looking to uphold 911S honor in the Southeast.

You can probably fit some 225/45s or 50s on the 7s, but it may be a squeeze in the rear. Hoosier autox compound would be the ticket instead of the Ecstas, but you pay a premium for the extra second or two.

As far as alignment, try a little toe-out in the front, a little toe-in in the rear, as much negative camber as you can get (2-3 degrees if possible) and max out your caster. Lower the car as much as practical and correct bumpsteer as necessary. Corner balance with your weight in the driver's seat and 1/2 tank of fuel and then drive it like you stole it.

Good luck,
    TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Well this is going to the shortest AX thread ever with a reply like that from TT....

....There ya go Chris.....that was from one of the reigning masters of AX'ing early 911's.

Take that info and run with it...!!
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

Gburner
    Imho this site seems to have got a little more interested in Porsches as art rather than track carving tools. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

You will find more Porsche AX/DE/TT or club race enthusiasts at Pelican or Rennlist.

I would try what Tom recommended. When you do track it you will find adjustable sway bars are a quick and easy way to adjust your over or under steer.