Thread: Tough to be a buyer...

Tough to be a buyer...

In the past three days I have encountered FOUR fishy deals on early cars (none on or related to this board):

-1976 Carrera 3.0 - not a real Carrera 3.0 (VIN), engine number not a '76
    -1977 911S - outright scam: car for sale in NYC, seller (and car) in Berlin
    -1970 911T - VIN and engine number nonexistent
    -1974 Carrera - fake

At least one of them is an outright scam. The others are either misleading, fraudulent or just plain stupid.

All of them are listed for sale at various places in the US, two of them on Ebay. When contacted regarding the fraudulent nature of one of the ads Ebay said (basically) 'buyer beware'. Does that mean I can sell a fake rolex as a real one and then claim caveat emptor?!

The 1977 911, a red coupe for sale in NYC - the seller in Berlin says he is an American. If so, he never studied English The 1970 T is offered by a 'reputable' dealer on the East coast and both VIN and engine numbers are nonexistent - when asked for photos of VIN, none were forthcoming...

Anyway, just wanted to voice some concern and post this info. If nothing else, I would have to agree with Ebay's warning of 'Buyer Beware'.

Maybe we should institute a regular
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Reg #675

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    Why even bother with Ebay in the first place?
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

Why even bother with Ebay in the first place?
    Some misplaced, naive belief that mankind is basically good and honest?

Actually, I have to agree, it is a complete waste of time and a source of frustration, whether one is talking about Canada, the US or Germany, for cars Ebay has become a scam - but not a bad place to pick up parts!
    Early S Reg #675

Quote Originally Posted by 911s911rs
    Some misplaced, naive belief that mankind is basically good and honest?

Actually, I have to agree, it is a complete waste of time and a source of frustration, whether one is talking about Canada, the US or Germany, for cars Ebay has become a scam - but not a bad place to pick up parts!
    And how do you differenciate on that? I've received some pretty bad merchandise as 'parts' on Ebay. Bad people are bad people, whether they sell whole cars or parts. I seldom, if ever, look on Ebay.

My one and only EBay experience went ok. Bought a pair of manifolds for Webers from Hawaii. Guy was honest and all went well, but I can see the nasty possibilities for ripoffs.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Unfortunately the FK O's spoil it for the honest guy....

I don't know of a better place for a guy with a part or two to dispose of it...

I deal in Art...there really is nothing out there thats easier to scam than art...so far I have had pretty good luck with the Bay....but neither am I dealing in the mega bux stuff either...U won't find that on the Bay anyway....you'll just have to be scammed by the auction houses and galleries for those....
    Master of the Buffet

Voice of Reasoned Conservatism

Zeke,

If someone has (for example) a set of SSIs on Ebay, complete with pictures from all angles and a good, detailed description, it is easy enough to differentiate between those and a crappy old rust bucket, science project with a quick paint job and BS VIN - if you see what I mean.

My post was just a heads up for the many people who look at this site and have not the faintest idea what they are doing or what kind of (excuse my language) dickhead, *******, criminals are out there. Even regular contributors to this site, with all the resources available to us, are subject to scams or ripoffs. Just imagine what the average Joe is up against...

TGL
    Early S Reg #675