Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lwb 68s

Lwb 68s

I recently bought a 68S that I had thought had been converted to LWB (front and rear fenders, indicators and horn grills and rear suspension) at some time. GeorgeK visited the other day on his way to Scotland and said he had heard that the last 100 68Ss were built as LWB cars. Hss anyone heard this one before? My car is #1208 of 1267
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

That would be some kind of conversion. If it is, there should be evidence of rear quarter panel replacement at least. How about the interior. Which dash pad, door panels? A true '68S would have the one year only "elephant hyde" vinyl which appeared on the '68 US L. Also, wouldn't the LWB car have the later style heat/vent system. The '68 would have the sliding panel heat valves in the longitudinals.

The car is a real 68 MY 911S, correct dials dash etc, but the interior has been updated at some time to SC.

croos posting my reply from pelican:

nick
    this is an interesting post. my 68L has 69-73 flares on all four corners with 65-68 trun signals, tail lights and horn grills. the car has 68 suspension. i suspect the previous owner of my car had 2 cars and made one which would also explain the 2.2 motor. however i sometimes questioned if the car left the factory with the LWB flares considering how well it was done. even the body shop commented on the craftsmanship during the full respray.

in addition: my car had the 68 door panels. i have the elephant hyde dash and the heat sliders on the floor.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

nick - is it the blue 68S from your website you are asking about?
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

I know of a 68 that was a Porsche werkes Rallye car that was converted to LWB but that was a real oddball. The designation on the kard was 911 GTS. There were other changes on the tub of a LWB car does your 68 have these other changes? Dual batteries and so on?

Best,

Don

The car has a 68MY tub with single battery, depression for the steering column support, gas heater, non CDI ignition. Its not the blue one, its black, originally silver

I was pointed towards jase007 over on Pelican, he races a 68 LWB

"Hi Jason, Is your race car a 68MY or 69?"

"Hi Nick:

It is a '68 MY LWB that came from the factory as a body in white ralleye car. There were '68 LWB Factory built Ralleye cars ... not sure on the particulars in how this car was delivered. It was owned and raced by Rusty Bond in South FL for years in the '60s and '70s. We got it in the mid '80s. Unfortunately, Rusty passed away several years ago. I really have no idea if there were '68 MY LWB cars for sale.

When entered in a HSR or SVRA race... we get questions like it was a '69MY right? No.... it is a '68.

Hope this helps. "

V old post, but an interesting vehicle . . . . any more details/history? VIN?

And what's happened to/with it since?

We Can Be Heroes

911 gt-s

Olde Threade Alerte! . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Rennman View Post
    . . . I know of a 68 that was a Porsche werkes Rallye car that was converted to LWB but that was a real oddball. The designation on the kard was 911 GTS. There were other changes on the tub of a LWB car does your 68 have these other changes? Dual batteries and so on? . . .
    Another thread . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...553#post789553

Uhh-ohhhhhhhh

Any more details? . . .

. . . pics? . . .

. . . a VIN, maybe?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes

Olde Threade Alerte! . . .

Quote Originally Posted by nick-moss View Post
    . . . recently bought a 68S that I had thought had been converted to LWB (front and rear fenders, indicators and horn grills and rear suspension) at some time. GeorgeK visited the other day on his way to Scotland and said he had heard that the last 100 68Ss were built as LWB cars. Hss anyone heard this one before? My car is #1208 of 1267 . . .
    OK --- try, again

Any more details?

What about a Kardex?

We Can Be Heroes