Page 34 of 77 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Me Your Vintage P Dealer Plate Frames.

something for the bourbon drinkers in the audience ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Not my plate frame. Found it on the internet. I like the way they have incorporated the Porsche Audi logo:

I have an original competition motors woodland hills plate frame from the 1950's

There aren't many around.
    Here's an explanation I found from a post on another board:

socalcollector2 wrote: Got this IM from a guy on my socalcollector ebay account:

"Good Luck in finding one. I was the Parts Manager for Competition Motors from Sept.1956 until sold to Bob Smith in 1965. Mr. von Neumann did not want Competition Motors license frames made because other dealers might think that he was selling too many cars and not allocating enough cars to them.
    The General Manager at Competition Motors in Woodland Hills had 1 batch made, without Mr. von Neuman's approval. When he found out I was sent to pick up any remaining ones and destroy them. Needless to say the General Manager was chewed out.
    Your fictitious North Hollywood frames are probably popular with PORSCHE people because of this. Be sure to tell them that Original COMPETITION MOTORS NORTH HOLLYWOOD license frames never existed.
    Bill W.............
    Ex-Parts Manager Competition Motors, Hollywood
    Ex-Porsche Parts Manager Competition Motors Dist. Culver City"

Competition Motors

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    . . . I have an original competition motors woodland hills plate frame from the 1950's . . .

There aren't many around.
    Here's an explanation I found from a post on another board:

socalcollector2 wrote: Got this IM from a guy on my socalcollector ebay account:

"Good Luck in finding one. I was the Parts Manager for Competition Motors from Sept.1956 until sold to Bob Smith in 1965. Mr. von Neumann did not want Competition Motors license frames made because other dealers might think that he was selling too many cars and not allocating enough cars to them.
    The General Manager at Competition Motors in Woodland Hills had 1 batch made, without Mr. von Neuman's approval. When he found out I was sent to pick up any remaining ones and destroy them. Needless to say the General Manager was chewed out.
    Your fictitious North Hollywood frames are probably popular with PORSCHE people because of this. Be sure to tell them that Original COMPETITION MOTORS NORTH HOLLYWOOD license frames never existed.
    Bill W.............
    Ex-Parts Manager Competition Motors, Hollywood
    Ex-Porsche Parts Manager Competition Motors Dist. Culver City
    " . . .
    Hmm. Where to start

First off . . . multiple threads w/ references to this same topic . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...Frames./page20 (post #191)
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...etition+motors (post #1)
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...Frames./page24 (post #235)

One of the fascinating things about these dealer license frames, for me, is the way they connect w/ times + places

As for places, as far as I can tell, Von Neuman's Competition Motors had at least four locations --- maybe five . . . all in SoCal. The earliest ones were in Hollywood, then there was one in Inglewood, near LAX, one in Woodland Hills, but the last one --- according to the PDLs that I have . . . was in Culver City

Times are less clear. Like most, Von Neuman started-out as a VW dealer, in the early '50s, and in Hollywood, but seems to've moved his VW store to Culver City ~'63. Not sure when/where the Porsche store was/went . . . but Porsche's '68 PDL shows . . .

422/181/1
    Competition Motors
    21301 Ventura Blvd
    Woodland Hills, CA 91364

In '71, the store moved to . . .

8855 West Washington Blvd
    Culver City, CA

. . . then disappears. No other dealership was at that location after . . . and was reportedly sold back to Porsche
    http://www.september8th.com/news_neumann1.htm

Bob Smith, meanwhile, had his own store --- from '68 'till after Von Nueman's departure . . .

Bob Smith (/+ Porsche Audi)
    1750/1751 N. Cahuenga Blvd
    Hollywood, CA 90028

I don't don't know how many Porsches were built year-to-year --- but I bet Volkswagen built more. WAY. Which may explain/account for the number of 'Porsche' frames ever made + surviving. Yet, Von Neuman sold both --- so . . . I would expect to see at least some more VW frames of his . . .

. . . but these're just as invisible

Love to see a picture of your frame
    Last edited by LongRanger; 01-02-2020 at 06:01 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Nix . . .

Quote Originally Posted by BrentF View Post
    . . . Not my plate frame. Found it on the internet . . .
    Image looks like it's from The Samba thread --- and a great resource, I think . . .

From the '71 + '72 PDLs . . .

Nix Volkswagen, Inc
    3821 West Beltline Blvd
    Columbia, SC

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Hmm. Where to start

First off . . . multiple threads w/ references to this same topic . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...Frames./page20 (post #191)
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...etition+motors (post #1)
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...Frames./page24 (post #235)

One of the fascinating things about these dealer license frames, for me, is the way they connect w/ times + places

As for places, as far as I can tell, Von Neuman's Competition Motors had at least four locations --- maybe five . . . all in SoCal. The earliest ones were in Hollywood, then there was one in Inglewood, near LAX, one in Woodland Hills, but the last one --- according to the PDLs that I have . . . was in Culver City

Times are less clear. Like most, Von Neuman started-out as a VW dealer, in the early '50s, and in Hollywood, but seems to've moved his VW store to Culver City ~'63. Not sure when/where the Porsche store was/went . . . but Porsche's '68 PDL shows . . .

422/181/1
    Competition Motors
    21301 Ventura Blvd
    Woodland Hills, CA 91364

In '71, the store moved to . . .

8855 West Washington Blvd
    Culver City, CA

. . . then disappears. No other dealership was at that location after . . . and was reportedly sold back to Porsche
    http://www.september8th.com/news_neumann1.htm

Bob Smith, meanwhile, had his own store --- from '68 'till after Von Nueman's departure . . .

Bob Smith (/+ Porsche Audi)
    1750/1751 N. Cahuenga Blvd
    Hollywood, CA 90028

I don't don't know how many Porsches were built year-to-year --- but I bet Volkswagen built more. WAY. Which may explain/account for the number of 'Porsche' frames ever made + surviving. Yet, Von Neuman sold both --- so . . . I would expect to see at least some more VW frames of his . . .

. . . but these're just as invisible

Love to see a picture of your frame
    Awesome! Mine is the 4th one down. Pm me your email and I can send you a picture. The Emory's found it for me years ago...
    Last edited by rower; 08-09-2013 at 10:48 AM.

More Competition . . .

1) rower's frame . . . which looks identical to . . .

2) . . . this one --- as seen at PCA's celebration of the 50th anniversary of the 911, last April . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...fontana%2C+pca

Except for the drilled holes . . . all original . . .

. . . and still on the car it was first sold with

We Can Be Heroes

Autohaus . . .

From the '69, '71, + '72 PDLs . . .

Autohaus Charlotte, Inc
    6131 East Independence Blvd
    Charlotte, NC 28212

Dull white lettering on a dull brick-red back-round, flash-chromed, no makers' marks/ID. Plate = std VA pass, etc

Talk about Way Back --- when was the last time you saw Porsche sharing anything w/ MG + Austin? Store was located in what' s still a retail district, zoned for automotive. Address = B&R Bodyshop, these days
    Last edited by LongRanger; 08-12-2013 at 08:35 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Manhattan . . .

. . . from the '71 and '72 PDLs . . .

Porsche Audi Manhattan
    Sales: 500 Lexington Ave
    Service: 547 West 47th St
    New York, NY 10011

Dull black lettering in/on dull white letter-box, flash-chromed, no Makers' marks/ID. Plate = std NY pass iss, etc

Not around very long --- only the two years, that I can tell. And no combined stores, today . . . only stand-alones. Beekman Liquors is there, these days

We Can Be Heroes

Trans Ocean . . .

. . . last appearance = Apr '69 PDL . . .

422/116/1
    Trans Ocean Motor Co, Inc
    130 No Sierra Madre Blvd
    Pasadena, CA 91107

Dull medium blue lettering over dull white back-round/letter boxes, flash-chromed, RWB &Co. Plate = std CA pass iss, etc

Long-time dealer --- + still in business, same address . . . now as Volkswagen Pasadena. Widely seen + available, in a number of versions --- almost as prolific as VP . . . but out of the Porsche business after '70. Nice bit = classic RWB

We Can Be Heroes