Page 22 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Me Your Vintage P Dealer Plate Frames.

Steve Taub Porsche + Audi
    Santa Monica, CA

Name:  lic plate.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  92.8 KB

My 73.5T Targa was purchased there. Unfortunately only one original blue plate left, therefore I won't be able to reassign them to the car.
    Last edited by kp.sfo; 05-26-2012 at 12:58 PM.

Europa . .

From the '68 PDL . . .

422/114/01
    Europa Motor Car Company, Ltd
    6919 Laurel Canyon Blvd
    North Hollywood, CA

Considering the shee-shee neighborhood, I'd've thought there would've been more celebrity-type stories/associations with this franchise, but . . . none that I've ever heard of. Place seemed to've been best-known for the kinda kooky way they advertised the European delivery program . . . a home-painted Type II

Blue back-round, flash-chromed letters + frame, marked 'No. 400-A,' no maker

Plate's kinda neat. CA DMV stopped issuing black-plates/replaced them with blues for all new registrations effective 01-Nov, 1969. So --- here's a blue plate w/ a '69 sticker. Figuring the time-off for Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, this thing must've been issued in the five or six weeks before the New Year . . . then not renewed/cast aside?
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by LongRanger; 01-08-2014 at 09:15 PM. Reason: added dealer number

We Can Be Heroes

Vance . . .

. . . form the '72 PDL . .

Vance Volkswagen, Inc
    Route 23 North
    Prestonburg, KY

White letters/blue back-round, flash-chromed, no maker's ID/marks

Kinda rough shape, but a good 'clean' break . . . and when will I run across another? Besides, I'm trying to track down some people who I understand can repair this sort of damage. I don't restore anything --- I love the krust . . . but I'd sure like to stabilize this piece, close-up the break

Std KY pass, year-of-iss for Boone (!) county . . . dark blue letters on a (plain) white back-round
    Last edited by LongRanger; 06-04-2012 at 09:10 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Don Burns . . .

From the '70 PDL . . .

Don Burns Prestige Porsche Audi, Ltd
    13631 Harbor Blvd
    Garden Grove, CA

Not a big store, shut-down years + years ago

That first one I juuuuuust missed getting, at the last Pomona Swap . . . innocent finish, blue back-round w/lettering + frame flash-chromed . . .

Other versions shown . . . one restored/obliterated w/ '72-vintage CA blue plate mounted --- and please note the mounting screws . . .

. . . the others maybe NOS (!!!) . . . for your future reference . . .
    Last edited by LongRanger; 06-07-2012 at 11:19 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Truman . . .

From the Aug '68 PDL . . .

422/152/1
    Truman Motors
    464 West Main Street
    El Cajon, CA

Another Old-Time double-dealer, selling Porsches and VWs, from ~'61, then disappearing from the PDLs after '69 --- so more appropriate for swbs and especially 356s. Double VW logo = VW only --- not sure if a double Porsche exists . . . all rare --- especially OG

These all look to be RWB &Cos. I've noticed that the oldest dealer frames are some combination of red/white, switching over to black/white, possibly blue, then chrome(?)/white, all w/ flash-chromed frames. Earliest ones come in pairs, w/front and back versions --- backs = city-over-dealer, fronts = opposite

(After ~10k snaps, my digi-cam's died . . . so here's some images I've copped for reference)
    Last edited by LongRanger; 06-15-2012 at 09:46 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

McAfee

Jack McAfee Motors
    . . . from 1953 . . .
    13323 Ventura Blvd
    Sherman Oaks, CA

. . . from ~'59 . . .
    1108 N Hollywood Way
    Burbank, CA

. . . from ~64-65
    (?)
    825 N Victory Blvd
    Burbank, CA

Jack McAfee always wanted to do something with cars, messing with them when he was a kid, picking up his first car, a Model A Roadster that he got for $14, then hot-rodding and running out on the lakebeds. (Lied about his age). After 4 years in the South Pacific, came back to SoCal, back to the lake beds. Ran a repair shop on PCH –- Manhattan Beach.

One day, a customer came in, asked about the car that Jack had trailered beside his shop, Jack told him that he raced it, invited him to watch . . . and the rest is history. Customer was Tony Parravano and by the time he was through, Jack would race everything from Cadillacs to Ferraris everywhere from Palm Springs to Sebring to the Nurburgring. Co-driving with guys like Carroll Shelby. Beating guys like Ken Miles. In cars sometimes wrenched + owned by guys like Vasek Polak

Opened his first dealership in 1953 --- 13323 Ventura Blvd, Sherman Oaks --- and to this day the youngest Porsche Dealer ever . . . . at 29. James Dean stopped by his store . . . on his way to eternity. After 6 years, Jack built another store at 1108 N Hollywood Way, in Burbank . . . down the street from Lockheed Aircraft. Lot of Lockheed customers --- including Allan and Malcolm. With all his VW business, he built one more dealership, at 825 N Victory Blvd, also in Burbank.

Mr McAfee sold everything/retired in ‘74, passed away in ’07.

McAfee doesn’t appear on any PDLs after ’68

And this frame was for sale only just long enough for me to find out about it, cop a pic, then? ---- pfffft . . . .

And here's a fascinating thread w/ more details --- including paperwork (!) + period photos (!!!) . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...McAfee-Porsche

And more about The Big Man . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ther-hero-gone...
    Last edited by LongRanger; 02-01-2014 at 09:52 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Interlake

Interlake Porsche Audi
    Bellevue, WA

White lettering, black back-round --- looks a bit touched-up, me thinks? --- flash-chromed, RWB&Co No 9

Dealership dates back to ~'73. Interesting abbreviation of Washington. Plate is '69 WA std pass iss, X = Mason county

We Can Be Heroes

Universal Motor Cars . . .

422/112/1
    Universal Motor Cars
    3010 Crenshaw Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA

Nice, toasty/krusty OG frame . . . trace amounts of white-painted lettering, over/on what little's left of a non-metallic med blue background, with only the slightest shreds of flash-chrome left. Unknown/unidentified maker

Not mine --- borrowed frame + camera () . . . but, like that Ricketts . . . never heard/seen/touched one o' these . . . before this
    Last edited by LongRanger; 09-07-2012 at 08:01 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

McPeak . . .

426/053/1
    McPeak Motor Company
    1840 No. Main Street
    Walnut Creek, CA

. . . from the '72 PDL . . .

McPeak Porsche Audi
    2103 No. Main Street

Mine looks like dull white lettering on dull blue back-round, flash-chromed, no maker id'd. Odd symbol in the LR corner --- looks like the cross-hairs of a periscope. Company looks to've moved to Concord, at some point. Plate is reg CA pass iss w/ valid year-of-reg tag

Last photo is a later version --- '71 on (?)
    Last edited by LongRanger; 07-26-2012 at 02:05 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Van Wyk's, Ghent, and Aero . . .

Three frames I came across at The Gathering of Friends VI All European Car Show, in San Luis Obispo, Ca, 15-Jul . . .

None of these are mine, and I didn't have a chance to pull them off and look 'em over closely --- although I thought about it . . . so all I've got are these pics . . .

1) From the Aug '68 PDL
    422/132/1
    Van Wyk's, Inc
    630 Chapala Street
    Santa Barbara, CA

Blue letters on a white back-round, flash-chrome. I noticed the odd stamping on the verticals of the frame --- something I've seen before, but only on late '50s frames . . . and never on anything this nice. V similar frame being offered on eBay, lately . . . NOS = $600 (ay, carumba!)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Santa-Barbar...item1c2644d506

2) From the Aug '68 PDL . . .
    426/052/1
    Ghent Volkswagen, Inc
    801 Abbott Street
    Salinas, CA

Dull white letters on a dull green back-round, flash-chromed. Wonderful old finish in interesting colors --- well worn, un-bent, un-restored . . . and out in public being appreciated

3) From the Aug '68 PDL . . .
    422/109/1
    Aero Volkswagen, Inc
    1019 West Manchester Blvd
    Inglewood, CA

V hard to tell the finishes on this Ol' Vet --- looks like what's left of a blue back-round. As for the lettering? --- maybe white? Maybe chrome? Who knows? Still, great to see this one out
    Last edited by LongRanger; 07-30-2012 at 07:53 AM.

We Can Be Heroes