Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Limited slip...?

Limited slip...?

I was just curious, how common was factory ZF ltd slip ordered in our early 911's ? I know my Kardex does not show it for my car...

any resource that I could use to find out?

Thanks....
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

That would be a tough one to figure out, since it was an option. Like any option, only the car's build sheet would know.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Raise both rear wheels off the ground

Spin one

if the other spins opposite or stays still there is no functioning lsd

if the other spins the same way there is a functioning lsd

Sorry to mis lead you Bill.... I know I have it.

I just had the '84 915 trans in my car completely rebuilt including a brand new ZF ltd slip to 80% ...along with new short 3-4-5 gears from Paul Guard and the Wevo internal gate shift

I'm curious as to how common it was to order Ltd Slip on a new 911 as an option.....

fyi...My Kardex is for amusement only....'cos what my 911E was by the time I got it, was (and still is...) a very far cry from what it originally was on the day it rolled off the production line in Feb '73.
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

my 911E was by the time I got it, was (and still is...) a very far cry from what it originally was on the day it rolled off the production line in Feb '73.
    I hear you

It's my impression that few North American 911s were ever ordered w/ lsd. fewer % wise as the years rolled on. My impression is that in Europe it was much more popular.

No hard evidence just my impression from years of looking at them.

slip

Cars with Slips are definetly rare to find... They where a fairly costly option too... I know dealers of the time where removing slips from some new customer cars after complaints on the the ride quality... especially when you try turning a tight corner at low speed with an locked diff. The inside tire chirps and kicks...
    From all the early cars i've seen in my area,,, by chance, I'm the only one with factory installed slips... in 5 of my cars... the rarist i'd say being my 70' T with a 80% lock... The car needing it the most, my RS, has no slip.. go figure...
    My guess would be that no more than 15% of the early cars have a factory installed slip...
    Hope that helps a little..
    Personally,, a car with a slip is so much more fun to drive..

Robert....

My dad was importing at that time, and the cars were all special ordered, as that was his business....bulk of the cars were VW, but a lot of Porsches as well. People would go to my dad, as they could save a bundle of $$ over the dealer cost, plus they could get what they wanted, and he did European delivery as well. My dad's contact was through Ben Pon out of Holland...

Anyway....in talking to my dad, we remembers only one car with a limited slip, a black 911 targa (he can't remember if it was an E or an S), and the guy virtually wanted everything in the world on the car.

Personally I have a 69S targa with limited slip (the only car I have that has had one), and it is a European car.

Regards,
    Eric

Can you still get the Quaife limited slip differential?

Found it!

Hello,

My 68 Rally has the "Sperr Differential" from the factory and a 901/05 designation for the gear box, which is not in any listings that I have been able to find. Someone once told be the 05 was a "Special" gear box. Anyone?

Best,

Don

Unincorporated Arapahoe County, Colorado, USA
    Johnny,

Early 911s (’65-’68) used a 904 LSD in the aluminum transmission case. In the ’67 & ’68 years the cars had Lobro CV axles but when fitted with the LSD, they reverted to the Nadella axles. The Mag case ’69 was a strange combination of unique parts. In ’70 Porsche started using the larger LSD and continued all through the 915s. I haven’t looked to see what a G50 uses.

Do a search on Pelican “Early 911 Technical Forum” There is a lot of good info there.

Best,
    Grady