Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tail of The Dragon is for wimps..

Tail of The Dragon is for wimps..

Just got an email from Evren in Istanbul...this coming weekend, he & Ruki will be rallying in their '71 E through the Mts. of Abant, about 1/2 way between Istanbul and Ankara. Here's a road pic lifted from the Turkish Classic Auto club's website:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Looks like fun!
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Now *THAT'S* some elevation!

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

I don't know which will drive, we seem to always assume the man. But, I feel sorry for the passenger. Can you say barf bag?

Evren and Ruki are running the event this weekend...I think Ruki does most of the navigating...but in their last rally, they shared driving chores. Why this arrangement? Though both are M.I.T. grads, I suspect it is Ruki, the architect, who is quicker with the TSD math.
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

An even better road!

This is one I'd love to go try. Lysebotn in Norway!

This gives some idea of the scale involved.

And if driving the road or hiking the hills isn't enough fun, how about this for some extra entertainment?

yeeesh

Yikes! Hey, what is it with us? We seem to enjoy roads carved out in the days before internal combustion.

Love those switchbacks in the mountains. But I will say that it isn't the altitude of the road or the number of turns that makes that Dragon a challenge. A climbing or decending road like this has lots of hairpin turns, with space between them to get re-aligned.

The Dragon gives you no time to think about the next one. Because there are no switchbacks. You hit the turns one after another as you move along the face of the mountain. Each turn has a different radius, different banking, different depth. (And don't forget about the mysterious Semi that might appear coming in your direction!!!)

But, I would love to drive that road. Even just to see the scenery. Great mountain views. Now that hanging boulder??? Is there a sign saying what the max holding weight is? Get someone over 250 lbs on there, and you might have a fast elevator ride to the bottom!!!!

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    wow! those roads bring new meaning to the song Norwegian Wood!
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/