Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Want an Old License Plate?

Do You Want an Old License Plate?

I know that some states allow an owner of an antique car to put an original plate on the car. Illinois is one of them. So, Kermit ('73) now sports a 1973 Illinois Plate.

We do a LOT of antiquing. We find antique plates from a lot of states (both the midwest and others) in our trips around. Since we travel the country a bit, we come across all kinds of stuff. (Found a bunch of plates from 1915 - 1920 at one shop!!! anyone with a 1918 Porsche?)

If anyone would like an early plate for their car, but doesn't know where to look, I would be willing to look for one for you. They generally cost $5 or so, and run in condition from perfect to a bit dirty, to fully rusted out.

Let me know. I'll sell it to you for what it costs me, plus shipping.

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Larry,
    How bout a Florida 1967 plate? Must be in good condition though.

Good condition, or a pair of yellow, black or blue CA plates are selling for decent money here. Plates can be restored but can't be legally reproduced. In order to use them, we have to bring the TWO plates to the DMV and then go thru some more red tape about if they are appropriate for the car.

Singles usually just end up on the wall of a bar.

I don't have this on authority, but I think more than one person has a complete set of dies for the letters/numbers. They can take a plate and set it in the press with the correct sequence and re press it straight. Sure seems to me the way to do it.

In Illinois it is really simple. You have a car that is registered as an antique vehicle. You find a single plate that is the same year as the manufacture of your car. You install the plate on your car. You carry your registered antique plate in your car, so that if you are stopped, you can show it to Smokey.

You don't need two plates, and you don't need to register them with the DamnV.

I always thought that California just make things a bit more difficult.

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Hey Larry, look for '68 Vermont plates for me. Thanks a million!

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

I got lucky and found this plate for my 71 at a local antique shop. In Mich, we pay a one-time $35 fee and you're good for as long as you own the car.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer
    I got lucky and found this plate for my 71 at a local antique shop. In Mich, we pay a one-time $35 fee and you're good for as long as you own the car.
    Hey Curt, is that the Cayenne in the background? LOL
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Looks like the official truck of the Michigan Militia - The Chevy CHEYENNE. Just needs camo... and a gun rack.
    That drug dealer Halliburton case looks awfully suspicious in the back... Curt?

Ebay is good for that sort of stuff.
    I have a nice 73 Michigan plate for anybody who needs one. Not this one (it's registered to my car) but looks just like it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Da#n CA DMV. We can only backdate plates if the car is a 63 or older I believe. To top it off you have to have both plates. I haven't looked into historical plates but, I believe it restricts the allowable mileage per year.

I've got the original rear plate from my 70 with the original tags and can't even use it. Second plate was missing. I'm going to look into getting a repro for the front and see if I can register it. I registered non-op when I took possession so it's not plated yet.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Try http://www.licenseplates.tv Any plate, State, Country and year, custom too. All in metal.

Best,

Don