Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone know this car? 67 S Soft Window for $85k...

I knew my comments would bring the reactions that it did...but that's fine.

Resto costs always put you upside down, particularly if you hire it out. If you do it yourself...it will be lower $...but unless you do it for a living, or spend a lifetime doing it, it won't be to "concours" standards.....at least not National PCA. Been there, done that.....

Yes, he is above market....but I don't think it's too far, and there are guys with 60K (and some a lot more than that) plus into their cars on this list that won't sell them for that (and they are just S's)....cause what are they going to buy?

Time will tell.

Eric

right price too soon????

I'll add my .01 cents:

Not that long ago, I seem to recall a black 1973 911 S Coupe, red leather interior. The asking price was I believe 60K. I believe the owner had double that in receipts? (I'm sure there are people out there who really know the real numbers.) People said that price was CRAZY, NEVER GET IT, ETC,ETC.

People picked it apart, color change, never won a NATIONAL show....

Well, I believe the current owner now has a BARGAIN.....
    I've seen the National winning car today, I wish I paid the right price too soon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

I agree that the market for these cars will get much stronger in the years to come. Just look at the prices Speedsters are getting today!

But there is also a thing called discounting the future value of money.

$85,000 ten years from now is worth (surprise) $45,000 today at 6.5% interest (compounded annually).

AND it will be an aged restoration in ten years.

It tried to have a polite and rationale conversation with the guy, but he was a bit irrational. Too bad, I'd love to have this car!

I have seen the car and it is spectacular if not over restored. Having only done a large partial restoration of my 68 I can tell you first hand you could not buy and restore the car for 85 Gs let alone have any change for another car. I agree the 85 is a scary ask but I bet he sees in the 60s. It's a special car.

Best,

Don

Verrry Interrestink! One thing for sure...he can't advertise "never been in the rain"
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Mark,

Discounting future value has never played a part in ANY Porsche purchase you ever made....has it???? Care to publicly disclose the price of your RS for us to discuss??? thought not And you KNOW if you drive that RS down your driveway you're in for a weeks worth of detailing so as not to undermine your investment, right? (all in fun, all in fun....)

I'd love to see the targa up close...too bad it's so far away....

e

Maybe this guy could broaden his search down to a '67S and kick in a few more $ for this guy's Targa.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=190525
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Sounds like an interesting gambit....

I can hear it now, "just put the car on a ship to Nigeria, and I'll send you a cashiers check..."

E

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    I think I saw this car advertised in Hemmings Motor News a couple months before it appeared at Hershey. If I recall correctly, it was under $ 30k back then.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Eric,
    Actually yes, too much of a business guy to not think about the investment side of it - even if emotion wins sometimes. I thought I was buying the RS a year or two ahead of the market, but I've already been offered what I paid for it. It's another one of those cars that you couldn't replicate for the money that I'm in it. Regarding the 67 I think a year or two ahead of the market is OK, but more than that is a stretch.

BTW, I did drive the RS a couple of hundred miles this year. It was great, but I don't think I will ever buy a 100 point concours car again for the reasons you point out. Way more fun to drive and race than to look at!

Mark