Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Color/Colour problem

Color/Colour problem

Years ago I had my 67S repainted (bare metal). In storage it got a little ding which has required repair and this has caused all sorts of problems. The original color of my car was Irish Green. I had it resprayed a color I believe to Ossi blue 6803 (although I have no records of the actual colour). I have attached a photo of it when it was done. The red book also shows it as a 1968 color while the Porsche database (per body guy) shows it as a 1967 color. Is the Red book a little calendar challenged?

The problem is that my panel guy claims that Ossi blue is a very dark blue and not even close to my car (per his color database). I also found another members photos
    link to early 911 photos which looks a ringer for my color where he says its Ossi blue. Has anyone got an idea? Is my panel/body guy smoking something? Or his database wrong? He feels the color of my car is closer to Arrow blue (1974) or Acid blue (1975) and that the other car (Nick Moss's) must be incorrectly identified as Ossi blue.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Justin
    67 911S
    Australian TYP901 Register member No.47

pastel blue? Code #321? Just a guess...I also have a memory of a color people here called "Mexico Blue"...but darned if I can find a color listed under that name in the book...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I would say the color is Ossi blue, it is a 1968 color. I have a 912 in that color, but the pictures are in my office computer. If you want a picture, let me know and I'll send them tomorrow.
    Henry

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Why didn't you repaint it Irish green ?

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

Quote Originally Posted by John Fusco
    Why didn't you repaint it Irish green ?

John
    I was young and foolish. At the time of the restoration there were a number of irish green cars around, which made want to pick something else. Truthfully, I wanted it to be a Porsche color but I am not too concerned to bring the car to original but rather a color I would enjoy driving.

Well, my panel guy got back to me that the color has been matched to Acid blue.
    Justin
    67 911S

[QUOTE=Justin]I was young and foolish.

And yet wise enough to grab hold of a SWB S ! In any color , one hell of a car. Good luck with the resto. Let us watch (keep the pics coming)

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

That is definitely Ossi Blue. My 68S is being repainted at the moment and is the same shade

Before repainting
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by nick-moss
    That is definitely Ossi Blue. My 68S is being repainted at the moment and is the same shade

Before repainting
    Strange huh.....
    Another funny thing is that he (panel guy) has the database of the original paint manufacturer (per him, one of two) and the years, etc don't match up to the Porsche 911 Red Book. eg per the paint data base, Ossi blue is a 1967 color and not 1968. Anyway, I guess its pretty hard to tell with photos.
    Although, I do like Ossi blue (per Nick's car color) and it does look very close to mine. I guess I will find out later this week when I see the car.
    Justin
    67 911S

another Ossi car:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Reg #675

QUOTE = Justin
    "Ossi blue is a 1967 color and not 1968.. "

I have a couple of books that have Ossi blue as a 68 color - #319
    Chuck has some nice chips - he cleared up my probs with Tangerine/Polo/Guards Red. They have to be seen together to get the relative values
    Shouldn't yours be "A"ussi blue Justin ? (seeing you're from down under) or is Ossi the German for Aussi ?
    All very confusing.

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606