Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Holy Grail

The Holy Grail

All of us into early 911's want to find a special car, a member of this board just did,a 1967 911 with sport package for competion, one owner from new. The original owner was a racer,the car won everytrhing in SCCA,also raced in IMSA. HE WON THE 1971 New York Road Racing Championship; he won several division titles.Car has full documentation newspaper articles,original window sticker,leter from porsche racing dept. dash placks from most of its races ,even a DVD;the car and driver beat Bruce Jennings.Car has 34,000 original miles 9,000 race,THE rest,25,000, street,original paint original decals.this is a true example of a piece of history.the member will post later

BOY, WHAT car i tried to buy it,he just laugh at me;move over 911R,911T/R,911S/T,911 CARRRA RS

A TRUE TREASURE--THE HOLY GRAIL

For some of us the Holy Grail of collecting something may not be a Porsche....for me the Holy Grail of collecting would to be able to forensically prove a rifle I own was at the Battle of the Little Big Horn...if I could do that I would have one of the few guns that could be attributed to an indivdual who fought at the battle and the only one belonging to a Medal of Honor Receipiant. That rifle would be worth a fleet of RS's....
    Master of the Buffet

Voice of Reasoned Conservatism

Wow! certainly we are all looking forward to more info.

But 'The Holy Grail'? You obviously know your stuff Frank but nobody outside of the US even knows what the SCCA is... really, for the holy grail, aren't we talking something European, races like Paris Dakar, Monte Carlo, or Le Mans; drivers like Elford, Gurney or even McNish?

Regardless, sounds like a great find - let's hear more!
    Early S Reg #675

rifle

Tabs,get a copy of LOCK STOCKAND TWO SMOKING BARRELS directed by guy Richie, but of course I was speaking of early 911's

Frank,

Thanks for letting the cat out. Holly Grail may be tough for any car to live up to. The car I bought from the original owner is a 67 911 that was built with the option 9552 Rally Kit. What makes this car really special to me is it is a window to what an AMERICAN road racing 911 was. It is a real time warp as it was parked after it's last race in 1973. Not taking anything away from Euro racing, to me an old Porsche race car that raced here is big too.

The original owner replaced his S 90 with this car. He began doing Gymkanas. Hans then got into SCCA racing where he did very well with many first place wins in this car and including overall championships in C,D,E, and F Production classes. I am trying to compile the wins that he had. Hans then progressed the 911 into an IMSA GTU car where he competed in the Camel GT among other races. With this (obsolete) 2.0 car he was competing with newer and more powerfull cars. At the 6 hour at Watkins Glen he even beat Bruce Jennings in a 2.5 liter 911. By all accounts Hans was fast. There is alot more history that I still need to sort through.

The car sits as it was parked in 1973 including some pretty good battle scars in the original paint. Much more to come.

Best,

Don

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    whose car? any pics? i would love to hear more about it, as well as see some pics with details of factory goodies.

tabs,

that rifle sounds really interesting. maybe you should contact the people on the pbs show history detectives. http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

I'll Make this Quick Not to Upset people

Not to run this too far off topic....This a gun that belonged to Saddler Otto Voit of Company H 7th Cav. A 30 year veteran of that regiment. I bought the rifle from a family member for a few hundred dollars. It looks like a $200 wall hanger, showing heavy frontier usage.

There are pictures of the gun in the NPS file on Otto Voit at the Litttle Big Horn Park, I have talked to the principles who did the forensic work back in the 90's and it is a no go forensic testing it for love nor money. I showed the gun to Glennwood Swanson, who has been collecting 7th Cav memorbillia and items from the Battle for 25 years and has recently published a book, which will become collectable once the one and only edition is sold out. He wants pictures for his file.

I have done enough reading on the subject to know that there is possiblity that the rifle was at the Battle, but in most likelyhood was not used by Voit. However Swanson sold 3 of his rifles at auction that had forensically been tested and proven to have been used during the Battle...A Winchester 1866 sold for 687K a world record for a Winchester rifle at the time, the other two sold for a total of 350K...Now here is the kicker Swanson has the carbine (forensically tested) that was carried by the last white man to leave the Custer column alive...a Trumpeter named Joviana Martini who carried the message to Benteen..."Come Quick..." a known historical figure who played a role in the Battle..what would that gun be worth?

Anyway the website to the book is....http://www.friendslittlebighorn.com/...-and-times.htm
    Master of the Buffet

Voice of Reasoned Conservatism

Harry,

The car is mine. Just waiting for some help posting the pictures which I am not good at.

The Factory Rally kit consisted of Recaro seats, Tweaked engine with light flywheel, racing clutch, rubber floormats instead of carpet, dead pedal, no bumper weights, S instruments, Konis, swaybars and Dunlop tires. A cool and rare option but not very trick by today's standards. The engine the car raced with was a Vasek Polak 2.0 with 906 cams, heads, and intakes with R headers and megaphones. All detailed in a letter from VP with Arnold Wagner's signature. The engine was a big $2,800 as a longblock. The exhaust was a few hundred extra. The car ran Minilites with Good Year slicks.

Best,

Don

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    Don,

sorry i didnt read your previous post. i doubt i can be the best source of help (as my photo editing software isnt too good), but if you want you can email the pics to me and i can post em when i get home from work around 1230 or 1 am..

woodstk699@aol.com

i really cant wait to see it. id like to do some replication of some of the rallye package stuff for my 912.
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

Exclamation

Tubs, take it to Off Topic.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183