Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Holy Grail

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    very nice! does it have a skid plate or any other rallye goodies? id love to see a pic of the dash some time.

so.. whats the plan? resto to make it a street/DE car (ie restore but put lights etc back in.. possable passenger seat?) or restore to its glory days of racing?

will you keep the same racing paint lay out.. ie name of driver up top and name of team on fenderes.. number etc.. or will you just paint it beige witnh out racing decal stuff?

very very cool an interesting car.
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

There were no skid plates or other factory goodies other than what is in the Rally kit. (See the Sport Purposes book for a description of the different kits, mine has kit 9552) The plans are to keep the car unrestored. It is actually better than the pictures show. Today I washed it (alot brighter now) and test polished some parts of the car and the paint comes alive pretty easily. My main obstacle is getting some of the wrinkles out which I am hoping can be done with a paintless removal procedure. Hans explained all of the decals to me and that should not be a problem to take care of. The car was last run in it's IMSA configuration so the Big Minilites will go back on with some new track tires. I really do not have plans to return it to a street car, in fact I hope to keep her up at Lime Rock to run when I am up there where it raced many, many times.

Of course the car will need full mechanicals as it has not run in 31 years. The fuel cell redone, a proper race seat, ect..The 2.0 Vasek engine is blown and the Rally engine is in the car now. I am not sure which engine configuration I will use. Having had an engine built for my 68 I know there are alot of improvements to build a 2.0 today so not sure if any of the 906 stuff is worth trying to use. I think we will do the fuel system and try and get the engine that is in the car running. Will post more pictures as she cleans up. I am just really happy to have been able to buy the car.

Best,

Don

so what will you do with the sport seat then let me know ifin youre thinking of selling it.

i definitly think tryink to keep it as original as possable is best.. thats where its value is, in its history.

some good polish, and detailing stuff can get alot of it out.. like the 'sticky residue' from the tape on the one side, and the number on the hood..

the dents look like they will take work. hopefully it wont be too bad.
    Harry Hoffman

nice score don! keep us posted with details and pics. gonna have to start a folder on my hard drive for this car. like the rainshields.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Smile

Interesting story to go with what looks like a great car.
    Dick Moran

Wow! Way to go Don!!!!!
    Man, I wouldnt mess with a thing! Those arent dents, they are a badge of honor!
    Congrats on a great find.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

I think I would put a passenger seat in so that you could give someone a ride in the car...I don't think you intend in racing it again in a competive way, it is way to Historical of a car....so I would fix this and that, sharpening and cleaning as needed...the dents...I guess I would fix them to make the car look nice..but the car is a survivor so a full resto would not be on my agenda...I think it is a nice catch for someone who likes vintage racing....

BTW: a passenger seat can always be taken out easily....and I just think it would be a nice thrill for someone to share a ride...
    Master of the Buffet

Voice of Reasoned Conservatism

Don,

how does one get a copy of the Sport Purposes book?
    Harry Hoffman

The hood pins give one visual clue...this could be a sister to the silver weenie...the time is right, and these cars were referred to as "rally" cars, though rally wasn't the goal..SCCA racing was. Don, keep your eye on your snail mailbox for a plain brown envelope. I re-read the letter I'm copying..my goof..I said Sebring, should have said Daytona.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Congratulations on a great find! Looking forward to more pictures.

Harry, here's a link: http://www.plavanracing.com/sportspurpose.htm

Evren