Thread: Restoration Help

Unhappy Restoration Help

Guys,

I need a bit of help here....
    I have a LHD 72E coupe, repainted by PO in silver at some unknown date.
    I has a documented engine and gearbox rebuild from a reputable French builder in 1996 just before I purchased it.

I got it for a very good price back then knowing that at some point in the future the bodywork was going to need help.

The time for that help has arrived. I have taken it to the guys who have looked after it since I purchased it and have gotten them to prepare a detailed estimate of the work that it requires to return it to a very good standard.

So far the 'known' work to be undertaken is as follows.
    two new doors
    two need sills
    two need door lock posts
    two need front windscreen corners
    new bonnet
    new passenger side front wing
    new rear quarter bumper
    new numberplate panel
    sundry other rust repair work

full repaint with low bake oven.

Now all of this was a pretty penny as you can imagine but it all just about made sense.

The last piece of information I was awaiting was a more detailed investigation of the sheet metal under the rear seat pans...which is sound and the rear parcel shelf, which has revealled itself to be corroded and performated in places.

As we all know the rear shelf is NLA as a new panel and its replacement is a PITA. The bodyshop are not keen to do this as they know full well the problem it involves. They have not carried it out as an individual item, prefering to advise clients that unless its a rare car (RS or ST) it is not really worth it.

When I reviewed the work with the shop on Friday I was of the opinion that if the parcel shelf was corroded to get rid of the car and start over. However now that I know its gone I'm wracked with indecision...The car has been great and with the 'limited' mechanical work I have done on it (Carrera tensioners and new muffler) it really hasn't cost me very much.

But I am struggling to deceide as to what to do with it....opinions if you please....
    Attached Images Attached Images    

opinion

what a great looking car!
    if the work it needs is as extensive as it sounds it probably isn't worth it.
    you could part it out and net $2000, the hood crest alone could get you
    $500 if original !(check out previous threads). and the s bumper is also good for $500 if steel. not to mention the fuchs.
    then take the proceeds and buy one in better condition.
    what a shame. my 72 e is in somewhat better shape and i feel your pain, both in heart and wallet.
    btw, does anmyone know production #'s for the e? how rare is this model-year?
    good luck
    bob m.

Hmmm

Your car looks nice..... I always hate thinking of another one going to the crusher.

Anything can be fixed - money and desire being the limiting factors.
    There seems to be few "E's" runnin' around, but for some reason they haven't completely raced up in value.

If you're really attached to the car and have the $$$ well then consider fixing it- but remember that the money you spend will be GONE, GONE, GONE.

Production #'s for 1972:

1972 E Coupe - 1,124

1972 E Targa - 861

I have a 55k mile gulf blue 72 targa that I plan to restore at great expense.
    It has only one area of rust I have recently found in the right back bucket seat.

I am going to spend way more than it's restored value, but I really like the car and intend on keeping it.

Hope this helps,

Alex

Assuming the car has good history with it, it could be worth around £15K - £17K after all the work has been done. It would be worth £3k -£5K in its current state, maybe more with an eBay frenzy

What's the story on the interior?
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

Thanks guys, always nice to have a fresh viewpoint.

Not sure on the interior story....All I know is that its was changed back in the 70s as I have spoken to some of the previous owners who all remember the interior.
    But I have not been able to pin point why it was changed...but its one from a 75 Anniversary car and makes a change from the usual lightweight or totally black look.

My personal opinion is to not part the car. Don't fix the rear panel either if no one is comfortable doing it. Clean off the rust and put a coating on it like POR 15 if you have that brand over there.

Complete doors, hoods (bonnets) and fenders (wings) are around and not all that much here. I don't know about there. The sills and what not are pretty straight forward for a good hand at it. I just did a door lock post and it wasn't all that bad. Once again, if you keep an eye on the overall side alignment and image, it's hard to go wrong.

I don't have too much experience with windshield lower corners (yet), but I think one would have to fabricate some things. To me, the smaller the part to make the easier it is, well duh, huh? If I had a shop and were doing this part time, (that's coming folks), I would consider all your work for about $3000 plus parts and no shelf. Cutting, fitting and welding in a jig would be the total scope of the work. the painter takes over from there.

Silver,

I am in the middle of a similar project (although the car is not nearly so far gone it has similar issues). It sounds like your shop is giving you good advice. If you are not in a position to do that work yourself or have it done by someone like Zeke, you shouldn't even be thinking about it. By now, you have some idea what it will cost to do it right - if they will even do it for you.

If you decide to sell the car, or if you would like the number of a shop in Germany that knows how, and will do the work, send me a PM.

Tim
    Early S Reg #675

Great help guys,

I'd love to have Zeke come over and do it all, what a trip.

I would love to be able to organise my life to be able to do this myself as I know that the skills needed diffiuclt but by no measn impossible. However I also know it would take me literally years to do...and the only garage I have would not be amenable to that...too many other demands on it.

So I have asked somebody to review and quote the work, which is what is leading me to question my financial sense and the viability of the doing it.

The parts etc are not really the issue, its the number of hours of labour being quoted (which inlcudes all repair work, prep painting and finishing) which change the balance of the equation.

I'm still unsure about the final outcome but will keep you all posted.

I imported a 71T earlier this year and I'm giving it a thorough inspection at the moment. The rear window seal had leaked and the result was a rusted rear shelf. It had some holes and was thin in places. I had the worst patch welded and used POR15 on it, finished off with bitumen sheet to give some sound-deadening. It's functional and isn't going to get worse now the seal has been replaced.

I would have liked to replace the panel but I want to get the car back on the road. I think you can keep restoration costs sensible if you make the right comprimises.