Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shift Coupler

Earl, as any good mechanic will tell you, there's always a "while you're in there" economy to consider. I suggest a complete interior refresh; carpet, seats, door and side panels, headliner. You know, while you're in there.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

While you're in there...

Jens, a week ago I was having trouble downshifting. I thought the clutch needed adjustment. Tom W came over to help. The clutch adjustment was fine but the bushings on the shift coupler were coming apart. I bought some tight poly aftermarket bushings to replace the oblong factory ones. When I tried to tap the pin out I broke the coupler into three pieces. I went back to the shop and got them to set up a coupler with the bushings I wanted. I also picked up the shift rod and ball cup bushings. When I got home I disassembled and cleaned the shift assembly. Tom W came back over to help adjust the shift linkage and just in time to put the springs back in the shift assembly. While we were in there... the brake pedal looked like it needed to be adjusted... it turns out that the pedal assembly needs to be rebuilt. Fortunately I had a spare pedal assembly w/ brass bushings ready to go. It took all day but it's all back togather. The only thing left to do is adjust the linkage and the clutch which is where we started a week ago.

Shift Couplers and such

I hear good things about Stomski but have never tried one. WEVO has a variety of shift products as well. http://wevo.com/wevopsjpage.htm ...usual disclaimers however, Hayden Burvill is an RGruppe member and the head of engineering there.
    Ed
    Ed Barnett
    RGruppe #124
    Northern California Racing Club
    American Racing Club
    Member, Northwest Hillclimb Association

Thanks Ed,

The wevo shift joints look pretty awesome. I have not found any input regarding application for street purpose. We also wondered if they might possibly work best when complimented with a gated shifter.

I found a thread about the brass coupler bushings on Pelican. When I mentioned these to my mechanic he thought they could be too stiff for street causing the car to come out of gear when hitting bumps.

Angry while you're in there

Earl,
    I ran the WEVO shifter and coupler for the 901/911 transmission on both street and track. I hill climbed the car for three years and did numerous track days with nary a glitch, none. I used the factory short shift kit with a stock shift lever and was delighted.

For my new (to me) street car I'm going to use the street coupler unless Hayden has another idea. I emailed him this AM but suspect that they are closed till Monday.

Which transmission are you working on??? I'm trying to clean up a 915 which, as you may know, has issues finding the correct cog. I learned this last week when attempting a fast 3-4 shift and ended up in 2nd taking out numerous valves!!! .....Now I've got "while you're in there" budgeting to do!!!

Ed
    Ed Barnett
    RGruppe #124
    Northern California Racing Club
    American Racing Club
    Member, Northwest Hillclimb Association

Ed, sorry to hear about your misfortune. Hope you can make it better than ever. Mine is a 911 with short gears A,F,M,S,ZA. It was set up by the PO and works pretty well with the E cam.

Shift coupler

I have used the Stomski it worked great and I have used the Fabcar as well great. I have replaced with poly bushings not bad. One last thing is the weld at the shifter end of the long rod in the tunnel, check if it's ok.On three 901 gearboxed cars, this weld was loose ( not welded solid). You have to drill the old weld and reweld. Just thought I would through that in.