Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LENKRAD POLIZEI...steering wheel police? RS or 914-6

LENKRAD POLIZEI...steering wheel police? RS or 914-6

Pig in the poke or time to retire?? I pulled this off of my son's car and would like to know what you think!! Is it real or memorex? The back side has the standard two screw ring with two other holes, one is for the horn pin. Part # on hub is 914 347 806 10 with the "VDM" triangle and "67".

I found this other post but some of it was greek to me.... so what do you think??
    http://d240157.u39.zeonhost.com/foru...ead.php?t=4336

Thanks,

Glenn
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Glenn - that's a 914-6/RS (same thing) leather wheel.

See my detailed photos in this previous thread:

http://d240157.u39.zeonhost.com/foru...steering+wheel

Look closely at your hub next to the '7' - there should be another number stamped (probably a '2' making the date of manufacture June '72).
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your post. I read the post you listed and mine stacks up to be a 914-6/RS. The back of the wheel looks just like the one posted by "Fryardds"

This was installed by a Porsche dealership on a '65 911 and I have the sales receipt from the PO that I need to dig out. There is no number after the "7".
    It has a foam core and one layer of leather. The more I read the more I am confused.

Is it only a "RS" wheel if it came off of a "RS" car?

Glenn

It is of the type that was used on the '73 RS models...

As to its value - it's worth what someone will pay for it.

An owner of a genuine RS that has lost its original steering wheel (many of them did) would be prepared to pay more for the correct wheel than another person who just wanted a 380mm Factory wheel for their early 911 hotrod.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Thanks for the great info Andy!!

I found an invoice from the PO. Dated May, 10 1972 from Brumos in Jacksonville, Fl.. The invoice has apart # 901 347 081 05 00 and does not match the wheel. My "Pet" does not have that part #. And he may have purchased the "RS" wheel later and I have not found the invoice, anyway......

I have had 3 offers to sell the wheel, I just need some ranges. I have seen post for 300.00 to 500.00 and more. I don't want this to turn into a "orange badge", but will use the $ towards our "rustoration". Maybe I could just ask for open offers here or put it on E-Bay?

Thanks again Guys!!

I also posted this on Pelican with a few responses.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=200476

I bought a 914/6 wheel with a 70 date code, similar shape as yours for $75. This was from a guy in Canada who lists 914 and 914/6 parts all the time.

Andy is right. It depends on timing and the buyer. I still think that if it was a 72 date code then it's worth more simply because it's a more correct wheel for a RS than the earlier 914/6 wheels. One thing I believe was that the RS wheels were double wrapped. So, if yours has one layer of original leather (which it looks like in your pic) then likely it wasn't an original RS wheel.

I've passed on a couple of 914/6 wheels with 70/71 date codes listed for around $300 needing restored. Course these were listed by 911 guys.

Still one of my favorite wheels double wrapped. I'd keep it for the cool factor.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

For what its worth RS #101 has the exact same number wheel on it but I suspect its not its original wheel as the horn rim section is the cast metal type not the plastic it should be.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Warning Pelican Bashing ahead

Siggghhh

Ah the Pelican crowd.

George, where DO you find the patience?
    Early S Reg #675

I got George K's back. The man knows his Porsche steering wheel stuff. Judging by his own handiwork, George could have taught the Fraus at Porsche GMBH a lesson on leather stitching. I also agree with his view on Porsche emptying the parts bin and scrambling to get cars out by deadline. Quality on average was set to a high standard, but like any other company run by human beings, how could anyone believe that Porsche couldn't make a mistake or substitute a part when necessary. Lucky is the man back in the day who ended with aluminum S calipers on his 911T for no extra charge!!!
    Maybe the workers also did a few things judiciously. Suppose two early 911S's are due to be shipped on a Friday morning and there is only one front cooler left on Thursday afternoon. The Jungs check the orders to see where each car is going and decide to put the last oil cooler on the car going to South Florida and delete it on the car going to Minnesota. Both cars get shipped and Porsche employees go home Friday evening to lift a few Franziskaners and celebrate a high output week.

Postscript: I don't see them using a non-forged, non-counterbalanced 911T crank on a 911S engine though. I think they would have too much self resepct for their engines...