Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VIN plate positioning

Quote Originally Posted by studeb
    $10.00 says its ribbed
    We have a winner, folks! He just e-mailed me back that his latch panel is ribbed, like the dark blue one in Nick's photos.

So Nick has seen a VIN in the 302XXX range with the plate up above the gas tank, and a 304XXX with it on the striker panel. The blue '66 car that started the discussion (now Fleaman's) was #303259, and as I remember, it had the non-ribbed, flat latch panel in front, yet the VIN plate was up high, and unless I didn't look closely enough or am remembering incorrectly, it wasn't above the stamped chassis number, as Nick's pics show, it was covering it. Maybe Fleaman can verify this, if he's still hanging around. That's what led me to think that the front end had been repaired on 303259, and someone had relocated the plate.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Quote Originally Posted by ttweed
    We have a winner, folks! He just e-mailed me back that his latch panel is ribbed, like the dark blue one in Nick's photos.

So Nick has seen a VIN in the 302XXX range with the plate up above the gas tank, and a 304XXX with it on the striker panel. The blue '66 car that started the discussion (now Fleaman's) was #303259, and as I remember, it had the non-ribbed, flat latch panel in front, yet the VIN plate was up high, and unless I didn't look closely enough or am remembering incorrectly, it wasn't above the stamped chassis number, as Nick's pics show, it was covering it. Maybe Fleaman can verify this, if he's still hanging around. That's what led me to think that the front end had been repaired on 303259, and someone had relocated the plate.

TT
    I'm still hanging around, sans the blue '66. What Yup, I sold it yesterday to the ebay'r that lost the auction by $100. There were many circumstances that led up to this action (loss of a garage space reserved for it, lack of time to work on it, etc., etc.), needless to say, it's not mine anymore and I'm actually not out any $$$ from the deal other than 3 trips to San Diego and gas + lunch costs for my lady friends that followed me around while I p/u and delivered the '66.

So I can't answer the question, sorry.

I have to say though, I can't get enough of that Yellow SWB above....especially that rear roll pan, ALL the SWB Porsches should of come that way!! Droll, Droll, Droll.

Fleaman