Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you do about clamps (or, calling the clamp police)

What do you do about clamps (or, calling the clamp police)

I'm in the process of removing any and all worm drive hose clamps (especially the cheap perforated ones) and replacing with recycled OEM Norma clamps that I have had gold zinc'd at the plating shop. In some places, I have found Gemi clamps that are gold leading me to believe that Gemi (a German company now owed be the ABA clamp company) was an OEM suppier along with Norma Schelling.

I have found only one source of gold zinc'd Norma clamps and they are super expensive. I mean 5 bucks a clamp for a fuel line size of 12-16mm!! The source (which comes up on Google with a search for "Norma clamps") has the clamps imported and plates them here in the USA according to thier info.

I can do better, I think. But here's what I'd like to know, is Gemi an OEM and acceptable clamp for the restoration and performance community? If I buy these by the gross and have them gold zinc'd, will ayone buy them?

Here's a couple of links to help you see the merchandise (the 2nd one is a .pdf):
    http://www.abagroup.com/

http://www.abagroup.com/upload/Catal...ures/Ultra.pdf

BTW, I can get and plan on supplying the correct original fillister head slotted metric machine screw with the clamp for the purists. The performance minded would probably keep the hex head and torque accordingly.

Milt, I'd buy some as spares...it would take a really critical eye to know the difference, once they are gold zinc. How many different sizes are there on a 911? I dunno...but maybe a compartmented plastic box, sold like the fastener assortment boxes you see advertised?
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Milt,
    I being resourceful, have you considered wandering through the dead car graveyards? Namely Pic-A-Part. If you have a large enough quantity of clamps to upgrade, it might be worth a trip to scavenge the Norma clamps found on the various Audis, Saabs, VWs, Volvos and whatever, then have them replated. At $5 a pop for new ones, it wouldn't take that many to offset the few bucks the bone yard and the min. a plating company will charge.

Sherwood

Clamps-more info

if youre not too concerned about absolute originality, the Norma clamps are available in silver zinc from Wurth, and for much less than $5.

I am sure that the other company has them stripped and plated to the gold zinc color which accounts for their $5.95 cost! I think these clamps are around 1.25 each or so retail, so even with plating, they are still pretty proud of their clamps. I stock these at my shop, but any decent German/Import shop probably stocks these as they're OEM on older BMW's also, except the silber is correct for those.

Many grip ranges and band widths are available, and Gemi clamps are also available..

Matt McGinn
    SportsCar Restoration

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    It's time to revive this thread! I'm in the market for all new hose clamps and want to know if there is an less costly alternative yet to the Eagle-Day $5.95 each, cad plated Norma clamp. C'mon, there must still be some clamp police on the beat??

http://www.eagleday.com/normaclamps.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Norma clamps should be found with a search on the internet. However, they're not yellow zinc plated. Someone would have to buy enough to have them plated. If no one wants to buy a bunch, then foot the relatively low cost for plating (not CAD, btw), that's why EagleDay is doing it and charging for it as well.

Sherwood

I buy mine at the local Wurth shop and plate them gold zink, not expencive at all.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Jared - I've got 13 Norma clamps on my fuel line setup. 13 x $5.95 =

Pony up the money bud, it's a drop in the bucket compared to your overall bill!

Whats the difference between gold zink and cadmium plating?

Erick

W/o the chemical talk, zinc coating uses/creates less hazardous chemicals than cadmium plating. Cad plating lasts longer; costs more. Due to the above, there are fewer places that offer cad plating services.

Sherwood